• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB: subwoofer plate amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PB2,
I have used the 250W version in a Titanic MKIII 12" subwoofer I built, the driver was modeled after the Adaire. I keep my sub at 1/4 volume and it works perfect for our Home Theater. I don't use it for stereo listening.
SQ wise; no hum no buzz. plenty of power, on auto standby all the time. 2years and no problems. turns itself on when signal is sent.
Great buys and quality amps. Runs cool
My son has not built his sub yet............:whazzat:

I'm certain it will be wonderful.

Ron

Peter,
Looking at your website is an education in itself. You have forgotten more than I will ever know about audio.
On your TC-50 speakers the solid copper binding posts are "Edison Price Music Posts", some of the best you can (could) buy. I bought a set from Michael Percy for my Thors.

Edison Music Posts are now ~$70 a pair. OUCH!
http://www.soniccraft.com/products/connections/bindingpost/music_post.htm

Wait for a "Special" and you can pick up a plate amp at a great price.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I had a feeling that those posts were high end, but honestly was not sure of the brand. Thanks!
$70/pr LOL!

Thanks very much for the nice comments.
I don't use plate amps much, and it helps to get some feedback from users especially about reliability, so thanks again.

I will probably go with the PE, it is an excellent value.

Also looking at this 500W BASH O-Amp:
http://www.oaudio.com/500W_SUBAMP.html

Pete B.

Ron,

There are so many new drivers out there. I'm thinking of trying to keep the box under 2 cu ft, probably 1.5. I usually go
vented but might try sealed with one of the new high Xmax drivers and a lot of power. Seems you can never have enough
Xmax in a sealed situation. I'm planning for a pair for stereo subs.

There are a few things that I'm not liking about many of the new drivers.
I prefer metal formers, many are using Nomex and other non=thermally conductive materials. Yet, they still seem to claim high power handling.
Drivers with aluminum cones should use the cone as a heat sink IMO, not sure which companies are doing this.

I prefer a large spider, many long throw designs do not seem to have large spiders, have to wonder, or look at Klippel
data to see if they are really linear.

It is difficult to predict large signal effects such as compression, motor linearity, and overload behavior, since most of the spec data is small signal.

Noticed your signature there .... a spin on the more you know the more you don't know?

Pete,

Please post what you decide on using for a driver and box type, I find it interesting that some folks are so set against ports because they make the sound "sloppy" or "muddy". Never had that problem myself, but I only use mine for LFE.
I've read good things about the high-end Daytons. Way too many to choose from IMO.
Fun to see what you choose and how its implemented.
12 / 15 / 18, Bigger?

Ron

Nope, never heard a Rythmic sub, I have read numerous reviews that applaud its musicality. I presume they meant it integrated well and had a "tight" "quick" sound. I have no idea personally. Perhaps someone on the Subwoofer forums has???

How about the extreme fan subwoofer..................LOL
it's so expensive, I couldn't even afford to listen to someone else's !

Ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.