Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2008, 04:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Borbely DC100 Amp kit parts 90%

A friend of mine has asked me to post his Borbely DC100 amp kit he started building and never finished. But its not complete. seems he gave the kit to someone long ago to finish and now the output devices are missing from the kit. Not sure if anything else is missing. it looks like maybe the op-amps too.

But, you get 2 EB 80's vintage PC boards that are already stuffed. a new toroid transformer, a bunch of heatsinks, bunch of caps. one external power supply. one amp box with the heatsinks mounted to it and a bunch of parts plus what appears to be a reprint of the AA article. I can get photos later.

Looks like the project was pretty far along. But im not so sure the cases used are so attractive. a good DIY'er should be able to use these parts or at least the boards to build up a nice amp with.

Not sure what this would be worth so he has asked people to submit offers. Please email me at tetech2@doitnow DOT com to discuss

Zc
Old 11th October 2008, 08:20 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

bump
Old 12th October 2008, 11:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Bump again, any interest on a near complete Borbely amp???
Old 13th October 2008, 04:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Pictures sure would help.

What is the VA rating of the transformer?

What are the dimensions of the large heat sinks for the output section?

Any detail about the cabinet?

Thanks......
Old 13th October 2008, 02:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I am working on pics. need to retrieve my camera.

The transformer is one that came with the kit if i am not mistaken. The article mentions that it should be at least 400Va. I have an email into Plitron for the specs. the Transformer is an ILP Toroid Type 6A026 if anyone is familer with it.

The heatsinks are 4" x 3" x 2-1/2" and there are 6 of them, 4 on the amp chassis and 2 extra. the case is nothing i would consider anyone to actually use. I think a good DIY'er would take the boards and power supply parts and built a better chassis.

The boards have Traces etched that say DC100 EB Nov 83 there are two boards that are fully stuffed but there are no IC's in the sockets. which from memory are the servo IC's. but all the transistors are on the boards. Parts quality all looks to be good. I would bet this was the parts that came with the kit.

I will try and get photos up today
Old 13th October 2008, 05:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The board you describe is for the DC version, not the Servo version.

The blank socket is for Q4, which is an AH5012CN. Digi-Key lists this as an obsolete part and Mouser does not recognize it.

Erno Borbely seems to enjoy using state of the art (new) devices but, unfortunately, some of them later become unavailable.

Therefore, unless a suitable replacement is available, the missing IC makes this project useless -- at least for me.

Any suggestions?
Old 13th October 2008, 06:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

GREAT....I am digging through the box now. Found out there are TWO transformers and parts for two power supplies.

Looking through the article. its Q3 and Q4 that are missing from the dip sockets. Wonderful. a part no one can get..great.

Found the original receipt in the box too from old colony from 86 with a price of $358 for the kits WOW expensive in 86 dollars even!
Old 13th October 2008, 06:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th October 2008, 11:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Nice pictures. Thanks.

Q3 is NPD5565 and Digi-Key does not recognize it.

A quick tour of Borbely's web site shows nothing pertinent to this circuit board -- at least that I saw with a quick skim of its contents:

http://www.borbelyaudio.com/pics/Compprice.pdf

http://www.borbelyaudio.com/products.asp

Perhaps someone could spend some time at the National Semiconductor web site and see if its engineers have suggestions on parts that could be replacements and Q3/Q4.

Knowing how to do this and how to configure possible ancillary component changes that would make a replacement part work is beyond my knowledge.

It is too bad that something that could be a great sounding circuit is hampered by out-of-manufacture devices. Supposedly a device is expected to be available for 7 years. This circuit is 15 years old.

Let us know what you find out on the transformers. The design specified 400 VA but if the stuff you have is for dual mono supplies the transformers may each be a little smaller.

Dick
Old 15th October 2008, 08:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The Audio Amateur issue Five 1984, page 33, lists the mono power supply transformer rated at 225 VA.

What are the dimensions of the ones you have?

Hide this!Advertise here!