• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Found 68000uF 50V for $5 each, $0.33 relays

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found some 68000uF 50V caps for $5 each at BG Micro. They are $4 each for 3 or more or $110 for a case of 36. It is # CAP1090. I ordered 3.

http://bgm.bgmicro.com/prodinfo.asp...106&prodid=CAP1090&page=1&cri=cap1090&stype=3

There are also some dirt cheap relays for $0.33 each. They are 5V coil SPST reed relays. Part #1037 I bought 15 for a non audio project.

http://bgm.bgmicro.com/prodinfo.asp...9200106&prodid=REL1037&page=2&cri=REL&stype=2

They also have a few good heatsinks.

Darrell Harmon

is this the forum to post stuff like hot deals? i had posted my find in the parts section. i got some of the parts yesterday, the 10uF caps i got 20/$1 are made by sprague, and i got $3 worth. the leads are attracted to magnets, if that matters for stuff not in the signal path? in any case, i just like the cheapness of the 10uF caps and the 100nF mono caps (30/$1). and now they have some low noise quad op amps 4/$1. they sell that relay there as well, but i think it's $1 each.

have you ever gotten anything from bgm? i like hot deals, but don't know what deals they've got.

theChris said:
is this the forum to post stuff like hot deals? i had posted my find in the parts section. i got some of the parts yesterday, the 10uF caps i got 20/$1 are made by sprague, and i got $3 worth. the leads are attracted to magnets, if that matters for stuff not in the signal path? in any case, i just like the cheapness of the 10uF caps and the 100nF mono caps (30/$1). and now they have some low noise quad op amps 4/$1. they sell that relay there as well, but i think it's $1 each.

have you ever gotten anything from bgm? i like hot deals, but don't know what deals they've got.

I have ordered from them a few times, and everything has been fine. Their catalog is worth getting.

Darrell Harmon

Are you sure they are the real deal? I hope they are not but they look like fakes to me.
I have seen these somewhere else before, I think it was the MIT fleamarket. Handling the caps they felt very light. A real cap of these dimensions should weigh a pound.
Usually united chemicon and pretty much all cap manifacturer etch the value on the outer plastic cover, don't print it.

grataku said:
Are you sure they are the real deal? I hope they are not but they look like fakes to me.
I have seen these somewhere else before, I think it was the MIT fleamarket. Handling the caps they felt very light. A real cap of these dimensions should weigh a pound.
Usually united chemicon and pretty much all cap manifacturer etch the value on the outer plastic cover, don't print it.

I will post more when I get them. I only spent $12 so it is not like it really matters. I think it is worth the gamble.

Darrell Harmon

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Caps at BG Micro

These are the real thing, they came out of Lambda the
power supply maker and I bought 1000 of them and
with freight from back east paid more than they did,
Over what there selling a box of 36 for....................
There price is a killer price and they won't last long.
They are packed in Nippon Chemi-Con boxes and
some have Lamba sealing tape on them. I've priced
mine at $5.95ea. Jest goes to show I can't beat
everyones prices.... I do have other caps also coming in
and will post later on this board what they are when
everything is in stock.
Steve @ Apex Jr

Steve,
The proof is in the pudding. I am not a big expert on how caps are put together but it should involve thin aluminum foil tightly wrapped with dielectric. A cap like that should weight about as much as a piece of 3 in diameter by 4 inch long and 3/6 in wall Al tubing. Could you tell me how much does each cap weight? If they really are good I may buy some.
According to UCC datasheet the U32D should weigh ~326grams or .72 lb.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Caps

TO Steve A
Your order did ship today but went UPS Ground and
will email you privitely with the tracking # and ........
TO Grataku
I emailed you also and shipping is $9.75 UPS Ground
I've found out the post office is good for packages
under 3 pounds after that UPS is a better deal......
Steve @ Apex Jr

Re: Caps at BG Micro

Apex Jr said:
These are the real thing, they came out of Lambda the
power supply maker and I bought 1000 of them and
with freight from back east paid more than they did,
Over what there selling a box of 36 for....................
There price is a killer price and they won't last long.
They are packed in Nippon Chemi-Con boxes and
some have Lamba sealing tape on them. I've priced
mine at $5.95ea. Jest goes to show I can't beat
everyones prices.... I do have other caps also coming in
and will post later on this board what they are when
everything is in stock.
Steve @ Apex Jr

Got any idea how old these caps are? I saw several possible date codes on the pic at BMG, but nothing obvious.

Phil

Peter Daniel said:
I just called them and there is only 18 in stock. More is coming this week. I ordered a case. (When the price of caps is getting down to the price of beer, I order by cases).;)

If you put them all in one amp, you would have 3060J of energy storage. Thats a lot at 50V. Usually when you hear of this much energy storage it is with 450V caps. Total capacitance would be 2.45F. That would definitely be the most of any amp in the PassDiy gallery.

Darrell Harmon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.