WTB: ALPS RK27 250K Potentiometer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2008, 12:59 PM   #1
mrdon is offline mrdon  United States
diyAudio Member

Default WTB: ALPS RK27 250K Potentiometer

The 250K is a little harder to find from a US seller online, but if you have an 250K Alps Pot available, please e-mail me.

Thanks!
Old 31st July 2008, 07:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

i KNOW i have one around here someplace, but I can't put my hands on that parts box at the moment. The pot is brand new, never used, never soldered.

Keep e-mailing me and nagging me about it, WAY too many projects going on at the moment!
Old 2nd August 2008, 01:13 AM   #3
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I have an Alps 250K stereo log pot, but it's not the RK27 Blue Velvet. It's a Black Beauty.

It's new and unused. I bought it for a tube pre I was planning to build, but I doubt I'll ever get around to that.

Let me see how much the Black Beauties run. I'll sell it for a competitive price if you're interested. Please PM me.

Best,
KT
Old 2nd August 2008, 02:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KT
Hi,

I have an Alps 250K stereo log pot, but it's not the RK27 Blue Velvet. It's a Black Beauty.

It's new and unused. I bought it for a tube pre I was planning to build, but I doubt I'll ever get around to that.

Let me see how much the Black Beauties run. I'll sell it for a competitive price if you're interested. Please PM me.

Best,
KT

Wow. Is it an RK40, or one of the larger units that looks like a pot, but is actually a true stepped attenuator? Either one is nice, and neither are still being produced. The RK40 has a body made of cast metal, except for the front which is galvanized steel. The body on the RK40 is also rectangular, and kind of "squat" looking. The stepped attenuators have strong black plastic bodies, which are square. They also have the usual stepped attenuator feel.

Last time I bought a new RK40, they were in the $40 range.

I STILL can't find the box I keep my new pots in, maybe tomorrow...

Don Taylor
BrassTeacher
Old 2nd August 2008, 07:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Don,

Yeah, it's the RK40, the one with the big chunky black metal body, a lot chunkier than the Blue Velvet. The one I have has thru-hole solder tabs, not the straight pins meant for PC boards. It's got a smooth rotation, no detents.

I know the plastic bodied Alps attenuators you're talking about. I have two of those. One is a 100k stereo unit, and one is a 4 channel 50k unit. I haven't gotten around to using those, so I can't vouch for how they sound. But I think I'll be hanging onto those for the time being .

I didn't know that the RK40's were discontinued. Too bad. They're a good sounding pot.

Best,
KT
Old 2nd August 2008, 04:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

KT,

To give you a hint on sound: I've seen those stepped attenuators inside Audio Research preamps!

Don Taylor
BrassTeacher
Old 2nd August 2008, 06:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Fantastic!

I have a Ultrapath tube preamp in the works, maybe I'll use it in that. Probably just hook it up with a buffer first, though.

Thanks for the tip. Can't wait to try them out.

Best,
KT
Old 2nd August 2008, 09:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Khoi,

I appreciate the offer!

However, I measured my opening for the replacement pot and the BB will not fit. The BB body is 33mm and I have only 30mm. To accommodate it, I would have to cut metal and I really don't want to do that since it is a vintage amp.

So BrassTeacher I am counting on you.
Old 2nd August 2008, 11:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

mrdon,

Just curious, what will this be going into? Was it soldered onto the board, or connected via wires?

BTW, I think I know where I left the box of pots, I'll be able to look tomorrow.

Don Taylor
BrassTeacher
Old 3rd August 2008, 01:02 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

That's great to know that you have tracked down the box!

To answer your question...The VC will be used in an Eico HF-81. Here's a pic of the stock VC I would be replacing with the Alps pot.
Click the image to open in full size.

As I said above, I do not have room for the Alps RK40 BB but I do have room for an Alps RK27 BV.

Hide this!Advertise here!