• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB: ALPS RK27 250K Potentiometer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have an Alps 250K stereo log pot, but it's not the RK27 Blue Velvet. It's a Black Beauty.

It's new and unused. I bought it for a tube pre I was planning to build, but I doubt I'll ever get around to that.

Let me see how much the Black Beauties run. I'll sell it for a competitive price if you're interested. Please PM me.

Best,
KT

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
KT said:
Hi,

I have an Alps 250K stereo log pot, but it's not the RK27 Blue Velvet. It's a Black Beauty.

It's new and unused. I bought it for a tube pre I was planning to build, but I doubt I'll ever get around to that.

Let me see how much the Black Beauties run. I'll sell it for a competitive price if you're interested. Please PM me.

Best,
KT

Wow. Is it an RK40, or one of the larger units that looks like a pot, but is actually a true stepped attenuator? Either one is nice, and neither are still being produced. The RK40 has a body made of cast metal, except for the front which is galvanized steel. The body on the RK40 is also rectangular, and kind of "squat" looking. The stepped attenuators have strong black plastic bodies, which are square. They also have the usual stepped attenuator feel.

Last time I bought a new RK40, they were in the $40 range.

I STILL can't find the box I keep my new pots in, maybe tomorrow...

Don Taylor
BrassTeacher

Don,

Yeah, it's the RK40, the one with the big chunky black metal body, a lot chunkier than the Blue Velvet. The one I have has thru-hole solder tabs, not the straight pins meant for PC boards. It's got a smooth rotation, no detents.

I know the plastic bodied Alps attenuators you're talking about. I have two of those. One is a 100k stereo unit, and one is a 4 channel 50k unit. I haven't gotten around to using those, so I can't vouch for how they sound. But I think I'll be hanging onto those for the time being :) .

I didn't know that the RK40's were discontinued. Too bad. They're a good sounding pot.

Best,
KT

Khoi,

I appreciate the offer! :)

However, I measured my opening for the replacement pot and the BB will not fit. The BB body is 33mm and I have only 30mm. To accommodate it, I would have to cut metal and I really don't want to do that since it is a vintage amp.

So BrassTeacher I am counting on you.
;)

That's great to know that you have tracked down the box! :)

To answer your question...The VC will be used in an Eico HF-81. Here's a pic of the stock VC I would be replacing with the Alps pot.
DSC00782-2.jpg

As I said above, I do not have room for the Alps RK40 BB but I do have room for an Alps RK27 BV.

No problem, mrdon.

Hope you find one that works for you.

Funny, I also have an old Eico HF-81. Needs a total overhaul.

This is a very personal thing, but I like the sound of the PEC carbon pots from Digikey or Brian Cherry. As discussed on another thread, they are very musical but strongly colored. Someone else may hate them just as strongly as I like them. They could be the thing for you, though. Tracking is kinda hit and miss, keep in mind.

Best,
KT

Thanks everyone for your help and your offers.

After reading various impressions b/t the ALPS and PEC, I realized that the ALPS is probably the wrong VC for the HF-81. So, I ordered a PEC from Digi-Key. A little more $$ yes, but more like the original pot on the unit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.