• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Pass Along the Migratory Box of Electonic Junk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lets get organized!!!

Ok, I've edited the wiki. Time to get organized.

I take it that there are 3 boxes going around and have reorganized the wiki.

From now on everyone signs up on the wiki and records when they get/ send the boxes, and which box goes where, as well as what's in the boxes received and/or sent. And we take requests (not binding of course) so if you are way down the list and need some stupid wire or connector or volt. regulator you can list it and someone can dump it into the box. I can see someone posting "everything for a chipamp" and by the time the box gets there all the stuff is included. This box idea is great for newbies and good for people like me looking to dump a ton of stuff.

And room for comments. Comments can include the price of shipping and the state where the box is. Or if you have a stock of chimpamps that you might use or might not use, put it in your comments and see if anyone wants them. If so, in the box they go. If not maybe not. People who start boxes can have rules like "no speakers" or "no big heatsinks" to keep weight down. Or "speaker stuff only" or "tubes only" or "chipamps only". But if so put them in the headers. Or whatever, be creative and informative. If boxes are getting low post "NEED DONORS" or "Box closed."

So please look at the wiki.

MBoJ - USA - diyAudio

If there is commentary about how to do this please post here, otherwise sign up on the wiki. And if you have received the box please fill in what you can.

Last edited:
I'm making the point that the box that passed through my hands didn't originate with me. I recieved it from benchtester. I believe bt got it from Jack...that it was the most recent one Jack started.

See posts 102, 104 & 105

Looks like stormrider got box #2...benchtester got box #3...both originating ~Jan. 10

Last edited:
Jack,

I cantor. If the singing is bad I would be much too distracted.

I have no knowledge of the folks in NY. I did attend a parish headed by a Cistercian while in East Bank, WV for a while. Great guy, not too strict as he was out on his own.

I'm still looking forward to my 1st retreat...either Gethsemani or through the diocease.

Reading/study will have to suffice along the way...

choirs/music

Jack,

When the wife & I travel, we often look for the "big church". This is to enjoy the trappings we don't get at home. We "stumbled" into one on the Isle of Palms, SC. We didn't know it served as the retirement home of the former bishop. It was evident a lot of people in the arts community lived there as well. Music can enhance the celebration beyond words...

I got what I think is the box, from a NY apartment address.

I didn't find "more resistors than you'll ever need", but there were several thousand 22nF ceramics. I helped myself to a few thousand (I guess chip decoupling is trivial now)...

There was even a Tektronix 4x5 delay line (which I'll keep if no one minds... It should help test the avalanche pulser I eventually plan to build).

Contents:

Two 3-phase rectifiers, perfect for placing an amp where the dryer should go... (hang clothes over it to dry? :D)

Lots of 2N3055-type heatsinks, and other small things. 3 bags of wirewound 3k 5% resistors. Lots of pots. Quite a few knobs. A stepped quad-gang pot. 2 larger (about 4 inch square I think) heatsinks with bolt-size holes drilled straight through. A bag of metal-can 2N2222A's. Mysterious bag of two germanium diode-like glass things with "lamphadda w/calar" and "cheverie" labled (dated 1980) (What are these?). Two nice rod-type caps, 1900u/100V, 6800u/63V. Some smaller caps (in pairs of 2) between 5000 and 1000uF. Also a board with 400V switcher caps. Some "Alcoswitches" left, these are good lookers.

I added a broken surge protector board and fluorescent light switcher from a flatbed scanner (and optical module from same). Will look for stuff to put in, but despite my efforts I think it may be due for a recharge. Two small fans. A decorative bright green 486-type heatsink. Broken ATX computer PSU.

I took a plug+trafo combo (trafo was 2" square) and a 3.5" by 2" choke labeled "trygon electronics". It uses square, wirehanger-size wire.

If anyone thinks I'm being too liberal, just holler.

- keantoken

Mysterious bag of two germanium diode-like glass things with "lamphadda w/calar" and "cheverie" labled (dated 1980) (What are these?).

I threw those in. I have no idea what they are, or where I got them from really. I hoped someone else would recognize them as useful. I threw a bunch of assorted value resistors in... I assumed they would be scoffed up quickly.

Also, when it comes back around, I have more stuff I could put in... Can I be added to the end of the line?

Last edited:
Stormrider, if you'll perform a recharge I'm sure no one will stop you.

I think I figured out what they are! Hermetically sealed precision resistors... Imagine that.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/vishay/rnr-rnn.pdf

Markings are:

FSRJ (I searched this in google)
505C

I'm not sure how to decode these runes though.

I think I'm about ready to send the box off to Imix, tomorrow or at least during the weekend.

- keantoken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.