• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: 2x 15" open baffle bass cabs $325

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Two open baffle bass cabs. Each is loaded with two 15" woofers. 30"W x 36"H x 12"D. Effective baffle width 47". Built of 3/4" birch ply. Front panel is two layers for 1.5" thickness. Finish is natural linseed oil.

The woofers are vintage late-1960s, with alnico magnets. Small magnet, high Qts. Approximately equivalent to modern Eminence Alpha 15. I think one pair of woofers is vintage Eminence, and one pair is OEM Jensen.

The woofers as-is were chosen for use in the 40hz-100hz range, below an 8" full range driver on open baffle. They have unequalized response to 40hz or so. They work well in this purpose, but are not well suited for midrange use above 150hz or so.

The woofers could also be replaced. Some suggestions:

Altec 416 plus Dayton IB sub driver or Augie subwoofer driver, for use with horn and compression driver
2x Altec 416, for use with horn compression driver
Altec 604, Tannoy or other 15" coaxial plus Dayton IB sub.
2x Dayton IB sub

for photos, see:

www.newworldeconomics.com/archives/speaker.html

NOTE: the rest of this system is not for sale at this time, but may be in the future.

Price: $325

Pick up preferred. New Berlin, NY 13411
Pick up in Westport, CT 06880 is also possible

I would consider shipping, but it would be about 50lbs each.

C'mon now:

Two sheets of plywood: $120
Time and labor: I paid $100 for a local woodworker to put it together (which was a bargain)
Time and labor part II: I spent several days finishing them with linseed oil ($15)
Four woofers: $240 for four Eminence Alpha 15 at Parts Express, plus shipping etc.

You're looking at nearly $500 right there if you tried to do it yourself, $400 if you have a woodshop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.