EnABL kit - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2008, 11:12 PM   #31
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

I may have given the impression in my first post that I had no interest in sending kits outside the US. That's not the case.

I have checked postage rates to Canada and Europe. I admit I was surprised how reasonable postage is. I will send kits to Canada via USPS 1st class for the same $26.

Europe is reasonable as well. The cost for kits headed there will be $28, also for USPS 1st class. I did become aware I would have to fill out customs declarations...just part of making the world a safer place to live.

I'll check other destinations as interest is expressed.
Old 26th March 2008, 12:00 AM   #32
chuck55 is offline chuck55  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm interested.
Can you see the paint when you apply?

Does it dry clear?

Thanks for the e-mail Ed.
Old 26th March 2008, 12:12 AM   #33
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Can you see the paint when you apply?
Yes, just like the "wet" spot it is. As it dries it "dulls out".
Old 26th March 2008, 12:12 AM   #34
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

After some initial experiments i only use damar for the pattern i put on the FE126/127 and on the occasional floppy whizzer cone, so i can't really say what it will sound like. But you can EnABL right over top of the damar.

It likely will also give you a bit less wicking of the pollyscale into the paper, and because the damar has already sealed the cone, less gloss coat as well.

dave

Thank you, both . I'll be sending in my $$ shortly. How many, say 6.5", drivers will this kit typically cover?
Old 26th March 2008, 04:32 AM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by zobsky
Thank you, both . I'll be sending in my $$ shortly. How many, say 6.5", drivers will this kit typically cover?
Quite a fewm 20-30... what will likely limit how many you can do is how quickly you do them. Once opened the pollyscale starts going off and even thou i am doing tens & tens of drivers i have had to abandon half full bottles of polyscale.

dave
Old 26th March 2008, 10:03 AM   #36
cwujek is offline cwujek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Quite a fewm 20-30... what will likely limit how many you can do is how quickly you do them. Once opened the pollyscale starts going off and even thou i am doing tens & tens of drivers i have had to abandon half full bottles of polyscale.

dave
Wow, 20-30 drivers? I only really need to do this for a pair. Anyone want to sell me a kit at a discount after use? How long do you usually find polyscale to last after opening?
Old 26th March 2008, 02:20 PM   #37
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

How quickly does the polyscale go bad? How about longevity of the microscale once it's opened? I'll probably start with one set of 4" drivers, then if I like what it does, I'll do a few more. But it's likely to be a month or more before I finish 2 or 3 sets of drivers unless I really need to whip them out. Thanks.

Carl
Old 26th March 2008, 07:42 PM   #38
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

Actual longevity of the Poly S is wholly dependent upon how you treat the cap, glass bottle sealing lip and how often you shake the dickens out of the bottle. If you always wipe out the lid with a tissue, after preshaking and opening and always wipe off the bottle lip, before resealing and always shake the thing when you remember to, but at least once a month, then lifetime can be years. This is assuming you don't have the bottle open for hours on end, as Dave must, to treat tens of drivers at a time.

Micro Gloss lifetime seems to be indefinite. I have bottles from the 80's and they are still viable. Never, ever shake this stuff. A gentle swirl, to remix water and gloss, is all you are allowed. The froth created by shaking the Micro Gloss can take days to settle out.

Other things to know are:

1. Run an open flame over the sharp end of the new pen tips for 10 seconds or so, before first usage, to burn off the wax coating on the metal.

2. Always wash the pen tip between pattern ring sets. This will keep the Poly S from setting up and bonding to the metal.

3. Do not drink coffee before you try to pattern a driver.

4. Don't worry about liquid lifetimes, the stuff is cheap and relatively easy to get hold of.

5. You will end up treating every loudspeaker in your local area. Trust me on this. Your friends, brothers and sisters in law and local teen aged boom box addicts will all want your help.

6. Wash the brush you use for the Micro Gloss with liquid dish soap and rinse very thoroughly.

Bud
Old 26th March 2008, 07:49 PM   #39
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BudP
Hi all,

5. You will end up treating every loudspeaker in your local area. Trust me on this. Your friends, brothers and sisters in law and local teen aged boom box addicts will all want your help.

Bud

well, provided they don't believe everything they might read on the internet, and just trust their ears instead.
Old 26th March 2008, 08:53 PM   #40
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Bud,

Something I've read that scale-modelers do when they spray these finishes is dilute with glass cleaning solution (Windex). Do you have experience with this?

Hide this!Advertise here!