Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2013, 10:16 AM   #321
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ed . will have to do some homework. tried a little already on a old driver . doesnt seem like brain surgery , and 35 years of fly tying keeps me steady, thanks again....... Kevin.
Old 9th February 2013, 12:21 PM   #322
diyAudio Member

one more quick question the trifoil damar ring . it goes on first.? not nessessary.? get some and do it. ???????? i'm into about 40 hours of breakin on my 126's and really like the sound. Even though i built the FGH's out of MDF... I know that makes people shudder......LOL Thanks again
Old 20th March 2013, 05:26 PM   #323
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Note the international shipping cost increase edited into the first post. Now $38.
Old 25th April 2013, 05:10 PM   #324
diyAudio Member

Ed hi, one more question to thicken up the polly scale paint to do its job correctly , do we just let it sit out until the right consistency is achieved ,or do we add something to it to thicken it . At this consistency the paint wont be thick enough to do thjob its meant to do. Thanks Kevin
Old 25th April 2013, 05:25 PM   #325
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

This is a first for me. I am more accustomed to thinning the paint for ease of application.
If a thicker consistency is desired, yes, the moisture content must be reduced. Any paint "left out to dry" will skin over. That solidified paint will contaminate the remainder.
So, frequent mixing during moisture reduction may be needed to prevent the phase change into the "skin".
Let me know how that goes.
Old 25th April 2013, 07:22 PM   #326
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Kev, what job are you planning to use the paint on that it needs to be thickened for please?

Bud
Old 26th April 2013, 01:12 AM   #327
diyAudio Member

I have a bottle of grimy black polly scale ,which looks real thin to use on fostex fe126en's. paint just looks too thin to do any enabling
Old 26th April 2013, 01:44 AM   #328
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

You only need about 0.002 thick when dried from a self contained blob. You do need the surface tension capable of holding a defined shape on an angled surface, with 30 deg from horizontal being a reasonable median. The smaller Fostex 12* series drivers do have a greater angle than this at the voice coil, but the spots applied there are just roundish dots and rather small. I use straight from the bottle polyscale clear flat without any worries and regularly use older material that has been recut with alcohol to thin it and it is thinner than stock at that point. I think I would experiment on a piece of clear plastic packaging, from any of the myriad of hard plastic packages we all encounter. If a line from an A2 or A1 pen tip has enough surface tension that it does not run when an angle stress is applied, you should be good. As for sinking into the cone material, not a problem at all. it will work as well, even if you cannot feel a lump when dragging a finger tip over a dry pattern. Of course if the paint is so thin it just blotters into the cone that is not a good thing at all.

Do let us know what you find please. Every bit of data helps.

Bud
Old 26th April 2013, 11:22 AM   #329
diyAudio Member

So what happens when you put the micro gloss over that. ? does that defeat the whole idea ? one or two coats!?!?!? are we on the nano level here. Sorry these questions have to be answered for me to justify this .

Last edited by kevner1954; 26th April 2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 26th April 2013, 04:30 PM   #330
diyAudio Member

Hi Ed,

I'd like to order a kit--how do I contact you directly and make the PayPal payment? Thanks for info--Kevin

Hide this!Advertise here!