• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Cast Aluminum Chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are the photos of the chassis. The left and right sides seem at a higher angle due to the perspective of the scanner. (The angle is necessary to remove the pattern from the mold, and is known as draft angle..)

Top:

Tim

Attachments

• castchassis1.jpg
    castchassis1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 792
The circle in the middle (on both shots) is what's left of the sprue, where the metal is poured in. I'll try pouring in the edges (bottom) instead next time.

The two round holes are for tubes (the pattern has 5/8" holes, I filed them larger here for 3/4" 9-pin sockets), the third, oddly-shaped hole is a casting defect (mold didn't fill completely).

Bottom:

Tim

Attachments

• castchassis2.jpg
    castchassis2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 791
What kind of sand did you use? What binder? My furnace doesn't get hot enough on electricity, so I made a body section for propane. It's curing right now. I don't plan to spend much on specialty ingredients. I haven't even made or acquired flask frames yet. I hope my first casting looks that good. I'm dreading that it'll collapse and not be worth the while to remelt.

Dan

Hey, a fellow caster! :)

I used washed silica sand (unknown grit #) and ball clay (ideally should be bentonite, but that's all I could get; seems any clay will work). Mix and mull it until it gets sticky enough, not too moist, not too dry...
The sand really needs more fine particles, that would fill in the surface real good.

Flasks are simple enough, I just nailed together some 1x4s. Don't forget the alignment pins! :)

If you want your first casting to come out good, then make sure your sand is good, and at least vent the mold a little so you know gas isn't slowing the pour. A common mistake is pouring too cold (I know it's common, I did it all the time :) ), for aluminum a red salmon glow is the right temperature. (Be careful in daylight, it's easy to miss the glowing - pour about when it's visibly glowing in that case.)
Just remember that you won't learn anything if everything keeps going right. Make mistakes! :devilr:

Hmm.. obligatory disclaimer: I assume anyone interested in metalcasting understands the risks involved, and how potentially deadly five pounds of liquid metal flying through the air - propelled by as little as a single drop of water - can be. :nod:

Tim

Hmm, a little tall at 2.8" (that leaves .7" of sand left to support it, not much when you have 50lbs. of it on top, and 5lbs. of aluminum coming in later), but I can make something like that.

Lesse.. 2 1/2" fins, 3/16" at the base, tapering to maybe 3/32" at the end. Back plane can be 1/4" plate...
Should be easy enough to make patterns in any combination of length and width, but there's no way I'm cutting that much after it's cast. :) (Sux having no bandsaw! :( )

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.