• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: SMC Ex-Stream SMCWAA-G (poor man's squeezebox)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A little background information is probably required since these don't come up often (if ever). This device is essentially a poor man's Squeezebox. It's setup to work with a MusicMatch library file and allows you to stream mp3's from your PC wirelessly and connect it to your amplification device of choice via the unit's analog outputs. Using transcoding software like tversity it'll even stream lossless content. It includes a wireless remote that has volume control so this is basically a wireless preamp.

Well, at least that's how it works in stock form. With the help of a soldering iron and some parts from Digikey I added an optical digital output that now means that you can couple this little device to a multitude of DACs and have audiophile wireless audio on the cheap. I've used it both with the analog outputs (very decent) as well as with a DAC and it really is quite good. See the digital forum here for a thread describing the modifications.

So why am I selling it? Simply put, I'm building a franken wireless device and the SB will be much easier to mod in the way that I'm looking to. I'm looking to get back out what I have into the SMC which is roughly $100 + shipping and any fees and Paypal is the only accepted form of payment. That's about 1/3 the cost of an SB3 and you're not sacrificing much. Here are a few pictures, including ones of the custom optical digital output.

85548606.jpg

85548608.jpg

85548609.jpg

Please email nate*maher*at*gmail*.com with any questions (remove the *'s, change at to @). The unit is in as new condition with all of the original accessories (box, manual, software, etc).

Thanks for looking and links to ebay and other feedback can be provided to concerned folks.

Nate

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.