• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Pioneer SX-1980

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now that you mention it, I have a broken SX-1980 here with all the outputs of one channel blown. Unfortunately, the outputs took almost all preceding stages with them. I was trying to figure out transistor substitutes, but it is not easy for such an old design...

its unlikely you will find replacements, I had a blown channel several years ago and I had to get the replacements from Pioneer, they were not cheap ($27 ea)and as you know there are six to a side. I am willing to let these go with both channels and heat sinks also with both amplifier boards. one works for $100

I envy you for having a mostly working version of the SX-1980 amp. I gave up on mine a few years ago. I had to totally re-design the power supply soon after I bought it. it seems from what I found that there was a part size problem and the ratings were to close in the +-80 circuit. I rebuilt it a couple of times and when the amp went out I spent a couple hundred dollars trying to get it to work.

The final resting place is a redesigned preamp that I use with a phase linear amp. sounds great...but not like the original.

I have to admit that it is actually not mine, it belongs to a buddy but has been sitting here for months waiting to get fixed.

I will ask my buddy whether he is willing to pay $100, it will be an easy job for me just swapping out the modules.

You don't need to envy my buddy, the tuner section is a total mess. Somebody must have tried to "improve" it or maybe someone tried to work around a problem. There are additional PCBs (selfmade) attached to the bottom plate and lots if wires going everywhere. Lots and lots of duct tape also. It works, though.

We compared the amp section to an Accuphase P-500 and Denon POA-4400 monoblocks, since that was what he had available that day. The Pioneer sounded powerful, but harsh and cold, and after we switched to the Accuphase, we couldn't stand listening to the Pioneer again. Of course, you cannot really compare those two units.

I second your opinion about some parts being operated close to their safe limits. The unit has not been very reliable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.