• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First time in Chicago

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
The 24 november I'll be for the fist time in USA, and I need some audio information.
What I MUST see as diy audio fanatic?
Where I can go to buy consumer electronics?
A big mall to buy everything else( gifts for my son and wife)?
Any suggestion?
Mey be near Down town

Thanks in advance.
Guglielmo

guglielmope said:
Hello,
The 24 november I'll be for the fist time in USA, and I need some audio information.
What I MUST see as diy audio fanatic?
Where I can go to buy consumer electronics?
A big mall to buy everything else( gifts for my son and wife)?
Any suggestion?
Mey be near Down town

Thanks in advance.
Guglielmo

Step 1: Look at Craigslist. It's like a F/S/T forum for an entire city - no shipping fees!

Step 2: Find awesome auctions that say Local Pickup: Chicago only, and end when you're in town. (I missed a terrific deal on some Alesis monitors and studio amp because they were Local Pickup: Chicago only.)

Step 3: Buy some drivers from Parts Express. Time your order right, and they'll arrive at your hotel room.

Step 4: Return home with the booty!

I used to live in Chicago *shudder. When you say you are looking for some gifts what kind of price range are you looking for. The US is pretty much the only place you'll find the big box stores: circuit city, best buy, which are full of cheap crap.

If you're into vinyl, a trip to Lincoln Park up and down Clark St is in order. At least 5 major independent record stores. A vinyl paradise.

For high end stuff, essential audio and esoteric sounds are out in the suburbs, but might be worth a look. They both have easily accessible web pages.

Theres a place near Lincoln Park neighborhood that stocks a lot of really good used hifi gear, but for the life of me can't think of the name.

Enjoy your stay. Chicago is a truly modern city.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
guglielmope said:
Hello,

Hmm.. Visiting Chicago in November... I doubt it's a vacation unless you're a weather masochist. Maybe you're attending RSNA? Are you a radiologist. This is the time every year when Rads take over the city. Lotsa fun!

Check out Buddy Guy's bar and grill behind the Hilton (or was it a Hyatt?) Great live blues! 'specially if Buddy is around, and the food is a treat.

..Todd

Hello,
you have found the true, I'm a clinical engineer and I'm in Chicago for RSNA.Audio Exchange will be fantastic but I think will be very hard for me to go in Medison, beacuse I'll arrive on saturday at 13:40 and I've not a car , and I've about 10 hour of plane on my shoulders.
Do you know where I can find the complete address of your suggestions:

stereo exchange near Lincoln Park

record stores

Buddy Guy's bar

About Madison I'll think about, there is any bus?

I was also interested in a consumer electronis shop (I'd like to see the new Sony digital book) and in a mall where I'd like to find some gifts (no diamonds! ,only dress and toys for my children).

Thanks a lot for your help.

And where for the better hamburger, beer and apple pie

Ciao
Guglielmo

Well, since I live in the Chicago area, here are a few of my favorites:

http://www.buddyguys.com/

This is behind the Hilton Hotel.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/

http://www.musicdirect.com/

http://www.theoldschoolrecords.com/

http://www.jazzmart.com/

For beer and burger, and apple pie

http://www.webergrillrestaurant.com/locations/chicago.html

Get the Wisconsin Burger. A bit pricey, but worth it.

For a bit of shopping, visit the Magnificent Mile. This is Michigan Avenue just north of the Chicago river. Take a cab to Water Tower Place, which is near the north end of the mile. Start there, and then walk south. When you get to the river it is done Lots of stores with gifts. Not so much the electronics, but there will be a few.

Oh, and did I mention Lowther America is just outside the city!

Thanks a lot!
Your indications are perfect!!
And also your site is very interesting. I like full range speaker
and when I'll have enough money I'll try Lowther.
To say the true I've never heard Lowther, but they are realy beatiful and I'm shure that they sound fantastic.

The last question:I'd like to buy a Bushnell extra wide binocular,
that I can't find in Italy.
Do you know where I can try to find?There is a optic shop for something like this?

Thanks again

Ciao
Guglielmo

At the RSNA, I helped setup the Picker display one year and then work the floor. The amount of money they spent was staggering! This was 8 years ago. They rented a lot of LED widescreen monitors and neat clear plastic parabolic speakers, you could only hear the audio if you stood in the focal spot.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Ah, a trip to Little Italy is required.

22nd street and Taylor street. You can say Ciao to all my Goombas. Have dinner at Rosebud and rub elbows with all the Chicago Mafiosi (just joking - excellent restaurante - should still be there)

The electronics can wait (although I do recommend Stereo Exchange - haven't been there in 10 - 15 years)

Fai Bravo! Forza Italia!

Giovanni

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Va bene, Guglielmo.

La Vino di Chicago non eh tanto buono, pero fai urbriacare lostesso.

Anche devo provare La Pizza "Deep Dish" - e una cosa di Chicago.

Vediamo che questo estate vado in Italia a vedere la mia familia - In Rimini, e San Benedetto Del Tronto.

Enjoy, and be good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.