• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: 10" Silver Iris (Eminence) Coaxial driver pair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of used Silver Iris 10" coaxial drivers for sale.

The price is $120 + shipping for the 10" drivers and ADS1001 compression drivers, or $100 + shipping for just the 10" drivers.

There are no crossovers included, this was from an active setup.

One of the 10" drivers has a small imperfection on the cone near the dustcap, but it has no effect on its performance and it isn't very noticeable.

10" driver specs.....

2" voice coil
Power handling: 150 watts RMS
Impedance: 8 Ohms
System Sensitivity: 94.2 dB 1w/1m
Le: 0.78
Re: 7.8 Ohms
Qt: 0.68
Vas: 79.1 liters
XMax: 2.37mm
Fs: 41.8Hz
Magnet weight: 38ounces

Pics......

http://i6.tinypic.com/6t53fcp.jpg
http://i19.tinypic.com/71n6k1t.jpg
http://i4.tinypic.com/837606b.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/6tp43uc.jpg

United States only please.

To be completely honest, no. :apathic:

It's not that either of the drivers are inherently bad; they just do not compliment each other very well. I think the 10" driver is very well made and sounds excellent within it's range, but it cannot play high enough to match well with the compression driver. This leaves you with a gap from around 1.5k to 3k.

I think the 10" driver would perform very well with a compression driver that can play down to ~1.5k cleanly. That driver is not the ADS1001 however.

These are just my opinions however, YMMV.

thank you for being honest, there are not that many like you around.....

the 15" Iris is well established and selling very well, the 10" is fairly new and possibly need to iron some of the problems you are experiencing. Did you ask Darrell about your problems? Just a thought he may have a solution...

cheers...

Variac said:
I think that's the ASD1001 Eminence driver..

Yes, thanks Variac. It is ASD1001 not ADS1001.

I originally had the 15" SI coaxials. I found they had the same problem blending with the ASD1001. I also thought the 15" driver was a bit sloppy in the bottom end, probably due to the high Qts, so I traded for the 10". I was hoping the 10" would blend better than the 15", but I think it is still too much to ask a 10" driver to play clean to 3k.

I don't have the money to spend on a better compression driver, and that's why I put the drivers up for sale. Hopefully my comments haven't scared off the potential buyer. I want to start my line array project.;)

Once again, these are just my opinions, so take them cum grano salis.

theAnonymous1 said:

I also thought the 15" driver was a bit sloppy in the bottom end, probably due to the high Qts, so I traded for the 10"..

I tend to agree with you, high Qts driver will give you what you call "sloppy" bass, I tend to call it "soft" bass. esp the driver is mounted on open baffle. The other kind bass is plate amp driven subwoofer gives a "thumping" bass. A generalization, soft bass for older listeners and thumping bass for younger crowd!

Furthermore, I think these 2 kind of basses are suitable for different kinds of music. Horses for courses.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I had similar experience with 15" Silver Iris. Being very fond of open baffles, I wanted to try it. While I was quite happy with bottom end, I think it has great bass considering how small the baffle is, I could not live with the midrange. I waited and waited for drivers to break in, but the midrange was not getting any better. Hights were ok, but just like theAnonymous1 said, there is a gap between the drivers. Pretty much all the other speakers I had at that time had better midrange. So I returned the drivers. I must say Darrel was nice to deal with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.