• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: DIR9001 to CS8412 converter board

Hello Spencer,

I got my board and all of the parts. It is already assembled. Thank you, it is looking great.

Could you advise on the jumper set up please?
I am replacing CS8412 in Cal Lab Sigma II DAC. It is 16/44.1 DAC if this helps.

I know that you posted list, but it doesn't help me a lot. Is there some set up that is most likely used?

Thank you
AR2

AR2 said:
Is there some set up that is most likely used?

The easiest way is to just look at your dac board. Quite likely master clock is not used so ignore J3 J4. 16 bit? That only leaves you a few permutations. Don't think J5 is important. Permanently setting to pll should work fine. Trial and error will get you there in 10 minutes :) And make sure the volume is not set all the way up.

For those buyer who is not happy about the converter board, please contact me for return and I shall refund to you upon receiving your board.

Note that the board may not be compatiable with your DAC and I can only ensure it will work in my D1V2 and D1V3 DAC. It will take too much time and trouble for me to trouble shoot the special application on your DAC!

For those who really want to take the risk and try on their DAC, I shall only provide completed/tested board using my D1V3 DAC.

The board will only offer for complete unit and no more kit will be offered.

Hi,

just wanted to share with you that I received an outstanding support and help from Spencer. I received perfect board from him and it happened that it wasn't compatible with my DAC. Spencer went overboard by sending me first another kit just to make sure that my assembly was right and after we learned that was not the problem, he sent another adapter board for CS8414 to put my DAC back in the shape, since I damaged the original chip. He was with me until my DAC started working again.

I am very thankful for such a outstanding patience with my problem. Thank you Spencer very much! I will strongly recommend you to anyone looking to buy your adapter boards.

Sincerely
AR2 - Vladimir

Could the issue with the chip's incompatibility have something to do with timing errors from transport to DAC?- Or perhaps the tranmission line between transport and DAC is severely distorting the signal, therefore making it unrecognizable to the receiver.

Anyway, just thinking..............

cadaverdog said:
Could the issue with the chip's incompatibility have something to do with timing errors from transport to DAC?- Or perhaps the tranmission line between transport and DAC is severely distorting the signal, therefore making it unrecognizable to the receiver.

Anyway, just thinking..............

No, that was not the issue. The signal between the CD and DAC is perfect, very short coax wire, and the transport is very good. It works with every other DAC. What Spencer explained was in his words:

The DAC chip is set to input mode for left justified 16 or 18 bit in the DAC chip. Thus the 9001 must also set to this mode.

The issue is that even you set the bit mode correct, it may not work also as the DAC is using 5V logic but the 9001 is output 3.3V logic signal.

If you want to try , you can change the logic of pin 12 from 5V (High) to Ground (Low) and set J1/J2 open in the converter board.

You must first remove the +5V supply to pin 12 but cutting the supply trace (make sure you can later short it back if unsuccessfully). Then connect pin 13 and 12 together, pin 13 has been grounded already. Do not touch pin 11.

You should not use R2 as you have a IC at the front end to drive the 9001 converter baord or you may put a high resistance say 10k to try.

Note that the 9001 converter board is not 100% compatible with 8412/8414.

1. It depends on what driving circuit you have on you DAC front end from the SPDIF socket. Some use a 7404 and others just use a pulse transformer etc... Others have optical input driver circuits and multiplexer etc.... I think a DAC with simple pulse transformer will have very high chance of success.

2. What DAC or Digital filter chips you have in your DAC. Some chips will not be compitable with the output bit format of the 9001. So far I know PCM63/SM5842/SM5847/TDA1541 etc are working fine.

I do not have a complete list and it all base on feedback. 9001 will be easy to work with all new DAC chips rather than NOS DAC chips. I received positive feedback on success story in Thomas's 1541 DAC.

Note that the intention of this converter board is for my D1V3 DAC and thus I did not consider much other requirements when I design this converter board.

Please tell me what you have first and I can advise your chance of success for the modification.

Spencer