POTS! Get Your POTS! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2007, 03:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default POTS! Get Your POTS!

These are Bourns sealed linear-taper 300k pots. The last page of the datasheet gives all the dimensions. Hardware included. The Bourns part number is 53AAA-B28-B40. Mouser has the 100k ones listed at $11.92 each.

Datasheet
MOUSER Link

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Price is $10 for 10, $20 for 25, $40 for 60, $60 for 100, or $500 per 1000, plus actual shipping and insurance.

Cheers,
-Casey
Old 28th October 2007, 12:43 PM   #2
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,
How easy are these to 'gang'?
I note that ganged versions are available - can the singles be dismantled and stacked?
Cheers.
Old 28th October 2007, 01:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Got any 100K pots?
Old 28th October 2007, 03:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dnsey
Hi,
How easy are these to 'gang'?
I note that ganged versions are available - can the singles be dismantled and stacked?
Cheers.

So are you saying it may be possible to build a 4 gang pot from 4 single gang pots? Won't there be a variation in resistances?
Old 28th October 2007, 06:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi dnsey: I'll try and open some up later today and let you know if they can be ganged. I suspect they are not gang-able since they are sealed and epoxied. These have a very smooth, controlled feel to them, with no backlash or sloppiness.

300K are the only value I have available.

Cheers,
-Casey
Old 28th October 2007, 09:03 PM   #6
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So are you saying it may be possible to build a 4 gang pot from 4 single gang pots? Won't there be a variation in resistances?
I've done it with other types - in fact, some are made in ganged versions simply by stacking the elements - the knob shaft is a separate component.
I've never had trouble regarding mismatch of resistance doing this, and doubt that any special attention is made to thois when ganged versions are manufactured. Good quality components have very tight manufacturing tolerances these days.
Old 28th October 2007, 10:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dnsey

I've done it with other types - in fact, some are made in ganged versions simply by stacking the elements - the knob shaft is a separate component.
I've never had trouble regarding mismatch of resistance doing this, and doubt that any special attention is made to thois when ganged versions are manufactured. Good quality components have very tight manufacturing tolerances these days.
This sounds excellent - I'm in dire need of a 4 gang pot, and the only one I could find was 25+ on ebay, and if I could stack normal pots, this would be a much cheaper option. Do you have any more info or link or recommended pots at all? I'm doing a farnell order soon, and it would be good if I could order some pots that are mod friendly. Sorry for hijacking this thread.
Old 29th October 2007, 01:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

These pots are permanently sealed (unless you employ a hacksaw). From a ganging standpoint, I would have to give these a "User Hostile" rating. Thanks for the interest though!

Cheers,
-Casey

Hide this!Advertise here!