• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Early Jordan-Watts Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have my father's Jordan-Watts speakers. Her brought them in the late 1960s, or very early 1970's and they cost a fortune then apparently. They are in wooden, possibly teak, cabinets about 3ft tall. Inside is lined with what looks like loft insulation. there are two white square speakers, with vent slots all round the edge and foam on the inside. On the back of these speakers are three screws and a round card disk with 15 and the symble for ohms hand written on both. There are yellow leads leading to the connector terminal plate on the rear panel and in pencil someone has written what looks like 7X23 or it could be JX23.

Any ideas what these are and whether they are worth holding onto, selling or just binning?

Thanks Alan.

They sound like Jordan-Watts Jupiters (could be Jupiter TLS - if so, there's an HF attenuation control).

Personally, I never liked the early JW modules, but many people do. Why not listen and see if they're to your taste?

Even if you don't like them, you'll probably find a buyer quite easily.

According Your description this should be those:

http://www.speakerbits.com/net/catalogs/images/products/UDJW.jpg

They were the very first (as far I know) drivers produced by Ted Jordan. I believe they`re called "Module".

They have a very special suspension technology, consisting of three beryllium rods tangentially attached to the voice coil former instead of the usual textile or foam "spiders".

Whatever You do with them, don`t bin them!
Even if they don`t work anymore, they might be still worth something for collectors.

That's the ones

Thanks coclino,

Yep, they are exactly like the ones in the pic from the link you posted. The cabinets have two each of these, and they work and sound great. If I sell these, how much should I ask? and would they be best sold as seporate units or kept together in their cabinets?

If I sell these, how much should I ask?

That`s really hard to say.
If I were You I´d put them up on ebay and let decide the market.
I`ve once watched an (swiss) ebay auction of those types of Jordans in 2003. The pair of units were NOS in their original boxes, tested fine and went for Euro 151. This maybe is an indication of how much they could be worth.

and would they be best sold as seporate units or kept together in their cabinets?

I`d sell the units only, so You can ship them. Shipping enclosures is expensive and costs as much (or more) than to build new.
Therefore likely nobody will be interested in the cabinets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.