• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: Bag of Vintage Polystyrene capacitors (NOS)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First person to offer me $2 to cover the price of an envelope and shipping gets these.

5zm3fcn.jpg

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hey Anonymous1 - aren't those polystyrene caps supposed to be the best sounding coupling caps you can get?

I have a few of those TRW .1uF 630V caps Polystyrene in bypass and in coupling duty...haven't really noticed any in coupling duty sounding anything extrodinary yet...

John, I have officially broken the audiophile worlds "film capacitor" death grip on my brain. I was doing some AB testing awhile back and I could not tell the difference between a film cap and some ceramic SMD caps. I couldn't even notice any changes by bypassing the ceramic with a film. This testing was done on some power amps and a headphone amp.

Now, a lifetime supply of coupling caps fit in the palm of my hand.;)

If you feel like testing your brains subjectiveness, I'd be happy to send you some. I can even solder some solid copper wires on the ends for easier handling.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I too cannot tell difference most of the times - I will pass on your offer - but thanks. I have enough caps here to keep me busy for quite some time...

I always ask my wife for her opinion on which cap sounds clearer and more dynamic - since she has WAY better hearing than I do - I might as well be asking her to eat lint.

She usually balks at first, eventually gives in, listens, makes something up as to which one sounds "better", rolls her eyes back into her head and storms out of my listening room. Like Clockwork. Some people just don't get it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.