WTB: Aluminum Foil For Ribbon Build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2007, 05:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default WTB: Aluminum Foil For Ribbon Build

I have sourced everything I need for this project, except the foil. I am looking for some foil 6-8 micron thick, and at least .7" wide (I can cut down wider). My ribbons will be 60" long, so after pleating, I figure I will need 72" per speaker, plus enough to roach a few..so about 50 ft I guess as a minimum.

If anybody has some they are willing to let go, or know where I can purchase less than 10lb.'s (the min the wholesalers sell), please contact me here, or via email in my profile.

Thanx,
Casey
Old 5th July 2007, 10:11 PM   #2
sqlkev is offline sqlkev  United States
diyAudio Member

I want in on some too
Old 5th July 2007, 10:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

These were built using standard (heavy duty) aluminium foil laminated to 12 micron mylar film. Nothing special required...
Old 5th July 2007, 11:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
These were built using standard (heavy duty) aluminium foil laminated to 12 micron mylar film. Nothing special required...
True..any foil will work..to a degree, BUT, the efficiency suffers terribly with the thicker foils. After modeling my options till my eyes crossed, I have decided that 8 micron is as thick as I want to go..this will give me 98 dB/W with my magnet assembly, allowing me to drive them with a small triode SE amp.

Casey
Old 6th July 2007, 12:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I understand. These are driven by a 40W A-40 (Pass) Class A, down to 500Hz crossover point. And they are not very efficient.

Have you tried contacting LineSource (see this post)? Or Paul W from this one? You've already had some posts in that thread, but may have missed this (and it's already 2 years old).
Old 6th July 2007, 12:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Actually, it was (is) my hope that either LineSource, or Paul W sees this post. Both members have there forum email turned off, and I have no way of contacting them.

If anybody that sees this has a way of pointing either of them at this post, it would be greatly appreciated.

Casey
Old 6th July 2007, 01:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

You could always try one of those "Attn: LineSource or Paul W" threads in the Loudspeaker forum, where they are still active. And post the question there...

Good Luck...

Whew! Nice post!
Old 6th July 2007, 02:03 AM   #8
tom1356 is offline tom1356  United States
diyAudio Member

You want to unravel a film / foil capacitor of appropriate size and use the foil.
Good Luck!
Old 6th July 2007, 02:21 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Cloth Ears-

Quote:
You could always try one of those "Attn: LineSource or Paul W" threads in the Loudspeaker forum, where they are still active. And post the question there...
If nothing comes my way in a few days, I'll probably do just that.

tom1356-

Quote:
You want to unravel a film / foil capacitor of appropriate size and use the foil.
That would be plan "B". I already have some suitable caps, but if I can avoid that particular chore, I will.

Casey

Hide this!Advertise here!