• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB: Aikido PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking to purchase a suitable power supply for my aikido pre that i'm building. Seems like there's so many options it's a little overwhelming, so i'd like to have a working one first, then branch off later with my own. I also have a monica 2 dac for trade if anyone's interested.

Thanks!

Dave

PS Board

I am also in the process of building an Aikido with 6SN7's, and I have a PS kit on order from Welborne labs. Their PS8 provides both high voltage and filament voltage and can provide the 300V recommended for the 6SN7's.

This is my first tube project and honestly I didn't want to fry something (or myself) so I went with this kit. I am not expert enough to create my own unfortunately :cannotbe:

If you want to share progress just PM me, at this point I have my resistors (Kiwame and Caddock), Coupling Caps (Auricap and Obbligato), and most other parts, but haven't begun assembly yet.

My plan is for a balanced linestage with remote volume and display.

Bas,
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but in the link that shows your power supply, you provide a link to a autoformer volume control. Were you joking, or would an autoformer or TVC make a good volume control for an Aikido? Expensive yes, but desirable? This was an idea I asked about on the Moskido thread and got no response. Again, sorry I'm off topic.
-Jeffrey Hill (marsupialx)

Were you joking, or would an autoformer or TVC make a good volume control for an Aikido?
Hi Jeffrey, I can't remember ;)

There is no reason (I can see) apart from the relatively high cost to not use an AVC or TVC.

It's just fairly unusual...

But since even with the Aikido you have to be able to control or attenuate the volume. It doesn't matter if you do that with a potentiometer, stepped attenuator or a magnetic device. The only thing that is relevant is if the device you are using is worth the money for the job it's doing. But for most of us that is completely irrelevant because we are trying to get the best sound whatever the costs.

I am planning a preamp with either AVC or TVC as attenuator..then tube... then output transformer.

I know of at least one guy that did that. It was the "Lefty" in Valve magazine. Maybe google will find you some info on that one.

But your question is it desirable. That you would have to answer for yourself..

Generally magnetic attenuators are known for their neutrality and good detail "retrieval" at lower volumes. But there are still folk that prefer pot of brand A or B.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
and is running the heater off 6v ac really that bad?

I think he was questioning the use of AC on the heaters vs DC...actually I also am interested in the answer...is there one option better than the other? I heard that there is a higher chance of hum with AC - correct?

I was going to try both AC and DC on a Tube pre I am making, but may be able to save the effort just leaving it AC...

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Floating AC on heaters?

I have the 6.3VAC leads direct off a transformer going to the filiments of my 5687 (AN M7 clone) Tube pre - noisy as hell but could be other grounding issues...just initially suspected the AC heater, as I just slapped the unit together.

The Hum follows volume attenuation, so I think it may be non heater related (if it was AC heater hum, it would be consistent and independent of the volume attenuation, correct?)

Sorry to hijack the thread...

You should have something like this if you don't have a center tapped heater or filament transformer:

Attachments

• heatergrounding.gif
    heatergrounding.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 400
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.