• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: Tubalizer - damaged.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This Tubalizer was damaged and quit playing after i inserted a ps in reverse polarity.
After email conversation with the makers they wrote: "The only components burnt are the 2 electrolytic capacitors and the 7608 regulator."
I know nothing about the regulator, but the caps are 1000uF/25 volt.
I put it aside and never got to repairing it. I can only assume they are correct.

Sold as is with no tube (6sl7) for $25, plus shipping from zip code 95521, usa. Prefer paypal and I'll absorb fees.

Thanks, Don

nodiak said:
..... they wrote: "The only components burnt are the 2 electrolytic capacitors and the 7608 regulator."
I know nothing about the regulator, but the caps are 1000uF/25 volt.
I put it aside and never got to repairing it. I can only assume they are correct.

Should be a very easy fix if no tracks are burned. The circuit contains only cheap and common components. It also works with 6SN7.
The electrolytics don't like reverse voltage so I would expect them to be the problem.
The regulator is a commonly available part too.

What did you think of it when it was working??

I have one of these and have drawn out a schematic ........

Attachments

• tubalizer - revised.jpg
    tubalizer - revised.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 236
Good tone, but some hum that increased with bias adjustments. Seemed to possibly be a ps compatibility problem as the unit is from Europe and I'm in usa. The ps they sent with it didn't work here at all (don't remember the problem, this was a year ago), so I tried a Radio Shack (273-1776), but I screwed up and had polarity reversed on the removeable tip. It actually played a while before dying.
When I told them about all this they said they'd discontinued selling their ps to usa customers. I dropped the project so didn't come to a definite ps solution. At least it did help me learn I may generally like octals for preamp, I collected several tubes for rolling so I liked it that much. It's a nice simple idea that I thought helped flesh my gainclone out.
Don

It's good to hear other opinions since there aren't many reviews on the net. I've had no hum with any supply so far but It did clip very badly until I increased the supply voltage to get more headroom.

When replacing the caps see if you can get higher voltage equivalents in there. It would be a tight fit though! The caps (voltage) and the regulator's (heat) are the only things that limit the possible supply voltage within reason of course. I have used mine stock with 24V but obviously the 25V caps are a bit close to their limit for comfort!

I'm in the middle of taking the regulator off-board (with separate supply) and changing the caps to allow up to about 40V DC.

Best regards,
Martin.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.