• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Wanted: A few feet of high quality *thin* solder...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

A bit of a strange request, but I'm quite a newbie to DIY audio. I recently started a Tripath project, and ordered various parts from Percy Audio, including some Wonder Ultraclear solder for...well...the soldering.

Thing is, after soldering all the SMT capacitors, things seemed fine, but come the SMT resistors, I really feel I could with thinner solder to make the process easier. Now I measured mine with a micrometre and estimate it to be around 0.8mm in diameter, making it around AWG20. Now my first question is - can you get decent solders smaller than that?

So basically, if anyone has a few feet of any high quality suitably-sized solder (I'm still undecided about the hype around silver solders etc, but it's a small cost, so I'm thinking Cardas, Wonder, WBT etc) then I'd be very happy to buy it off them. If no such smaller solder exists, then I'll just have to give it my best shot :|

Any help appreciated :D

Peter C.

the problem with tiny solder wire is that it doesn't contain solder flux properly. the hole inside for the flux is too tiny, while the solder must have minimal "wall" thickness in order not to fall apart.

it might not have enough flux to make good solder joint.

also with SMD , I would be wary with solder flux contained under component, it might present problem later on.

I also have 0.3mm flux cored solder but there are portions that there aren't any flux in them. :dead:

so what I did was run 6 strands of 0.1mm solid core solder together (much like litz wire) and use that along with dipping it in a pot of solder paste before soldering. then I would clean the board after soldering.

if you can get the solder practice kit from Jan, I suggest you do since 0.8mm for SMD parts is not too difficult once you get a bit of experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.