cylindrical sub enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for some help and thought this might be the place. I found this really cool 70's cylindrical speaker enclosure in the garbage the other day and I would like to turn it into a sub, it really solidly built out of 3/8" hard wood ply and already has a 7.25" hole cut so I though I could build a 8" sub woofer. I have attached some dimensions drawings to give you a good idea of what I am working with, so...

Are there any special considerations that might occur with a round enclosure?

If I am looking to build a sub that accurately reflects the music it is playing rather than just playing stuff loud is there any combination of speaker/crossover you might suggest?

there was also what I think is a cross over already in the box when I found it, I don't know if it works but I have included a rough drawing of how I think it is put together with the components labeled as per what is written on them (as well as I can read them anyway), any idea what this might be?

there is a 1.5" port at the back (base) of the box, the tub extends about 2" into the box with the inside end cut a 45 deg angle, I was planning on just sealing this up, what do you think?

Also any suggestions on the best power source? I was thinking of either building a car sub amp into the box or just buying a stereo amp and bridging it. Pros/Cons?

Any general pointers that you wished some one had told you the first time you built a speaker?

Any way, I would really appreciate any help you might be able to offer; even just pointing me in the correct direction to answer these questions on my own would be great. Thanks in advance for you time.

Attachments

• speakerboxspecs.jpg
    speakerboxspecs.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 321
Yeah, I have a couple suggestions.

I'm going to assume since you found this in the garbage, you are looking for a budget solution. A great inexpensive 8" Sub for this application would be Apex Jr's Super 8, it's about $40 and suited to a box that size. Remove the 1.5" pipe and replace it with a 6"- 6.5" long piece of 2" i.d. pipe.

Forget about using a car amp, it would be a major hassle. Again, the best budget solution would be a 70 watt plate amp from either Apex Jr or Parts Express for around $50. If you can scrape together a few extra bucks, a plate amp in the 100-150 watt range would probably sound a little better. If you want to pretty it up a bit, you can build a box for the plate amp. Alternately, you could check around ebay or pawn shops for an older 100 wpc stereo amp, watch with these, because you'll be driving a 4 ohm load and some might not want to do that. The rating should be marked on the back.

Finally, when you get the holes cut and everything set, make sure the box has no leaks. a little caulk around the joints and where the tube is will fix that. If the box walls were lined with anything, leave that in place. Don't forget binding posts, wire (something in the 12 gauge variety), screws... I can't think of anything else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.