Have you heard about these?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IMO, about all it has is curiosity factor - you can have something few other people do. If you are the kind of person who gets off on that, it is for you. I doubt that those little 6" woofers have an Xmax of 15mm or so, so it is not going to compete with 12" woofers with that sort of Xmax.

BTW, yes Heil made something like this in the 70's. I think the idea then was to simulate the wave launch off of the AMT speakers, which have since been shown to be rather colored.... Might be interesting to see what someone could do with NdFeB magnets in a new Heil-style diaphragm.

It does look interesting. 6 cavities in one set, 7 in the other. As the group of 6 is pushing air, the group of 7 is sucking. The difference of 1 is the effective difference. Or am I missing something? The way I see it it is equivalent to a 10" driver with almost no baffle.

2nd look at it - it does appear to have a lot of mounting holes, it could go on a baffle, creating a dipole. Cant help but wonder about cavity effect and air noise. A lot of dead mass to be moved with the interconnecting rods.

Geoff

yeah the mms on that thing will be HUGE! and to compensate the VC will need to be huge...which raises Le, which makes your midbass sound like poopoo...

but wait dont smaller drivers have "faster" bass?!(toungue in cheek)

no offence but to me this seems like an interesting, but not very practical concept. but maybe im wrong, im not a loudspeaker pro here

With a lower Qts it would be interesting for bass horns with a high to very high compression ratio, due to the multiple, (possible) much stiffer diaphragm's as opposed to a single larger one.
In addition to that it would support an even loading on the cone as opposed to most conventional, modern horn loading techniques.

Wkr Johan

Right now, I believe they just have 2 models (LAT500 & LAT700) which translate into the Alpine PLT-5 and PLV-7. I think the draw is the small form factor. If you go to the Web site it mentions using the technology in DMP docking stations and flat panel TVs.

I'd love to hear one, but its use in home where space is not as limited is probably impractical for most.

Here's a car audio review for those interested:
http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0702_cae_alpine_plv_7_subwoofer/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.