keeping little critters out of woofer ports????? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2007, 04:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default keeping little critters out of woofer ports?????

i have a couple of subs in the shop that have had the internal wiring munched on by mice....... i'm trying to figure out a way to keep these little animals out of the ports without adversely effecting the sound..... a wad of fiberglass in the port? or steel wool?...... any ideas???????
Old 26th March 2007, 05:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Today I was working in an electrical panel that had a perfect skeleton of a dead mouse in it. I guess during tough times the buggers ate the insulation off the old wires. I guess the old wires had some natural oils in the cloth braid.

Can you "mouse-proof" the garage? It would be nice if you could keep them out of your entire building but this can be expensive I guess. Good luck.

Cheers,

Shawn.
Old 26th March 2007, 06:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

mice could probably get through fiberglass wad pretty easilly, they might even like it for nesting.
How about some wire mesh on the inside end of the port. as long as the port is not too close to the point where it makes noise "chuffs" it should be fine.

or
turn them upside down so the port is too high up for the mice to reach?

much more amusing would be a motion detector connected to a circuit that plays a huge bass drum sample when a mouse comes in the port. the sudden air pressure out the port would shoot the mouse across the room

automatic mouse cannon might be number 1 video on utube as well
Old 26th March 2007, 06:33 AM   #4
jpg is offline jpg  Germany
diyAudio Member

I vote for wire mesh, too. Won't change the sound a bit (unless you have very high air velocities in the port).
Old 26th March 2007, 08:59 PM   #5
mikee55 is offline mikee55  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Where you at?

Get your'reself a pussy.

Cheers mikee55
Old 26th March 2007, 09:09 PM   #6
jamite is offline jamite  Canada
diyAudio Member

I capped off my ports with tule (the fabric a tu-tu is made out of) and it works great to keep the insulation from making its way into the port. I'm thinking wire mesh would work pretty well, since a mouse would make short work of any cloth like material. Might want to throw some kind of foam gasket between the port and mesh so that you don't get the mesh rattling against the port.
Old 26th March 2007, 09:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

My friend had mice in his garage. We got one or those ultrasonic noise makers that you leave pluged into the wall for $12 at wallmart. Problem solved, amazing.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikee55
Get your'reself a pussy.

Cheers mikee55
Hehe, they like the warm amps. If thats the pussy your talking about :0
Old 26th March 2007, 10:29 PM   #8
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by neutron7

automatic mouse cannon might be number 1 video on utube as well

ROTFLMAO

I too have found mice skeletons in electric panels. They ate the wires out of both my cars in the garage.....:cry: expensive fix. The mechanic says he sees it all the time in the fall / winter. The mice knaw on wires to sharpen / shorten their teeth as they grow all the time.
I have found small round vent covers made for rafter blocking (frese) have a decent wire size mesh and look great (on down firing subs)....They look like sheet.

Ron
Old 26th March 2007, 11:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by neutron7
... the sudden air pressure out the port would shoot the mouse across the room...
I think I object to that concept!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 26th March 2007, 11:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I kid you not, there is a mouse in my mother's electircal box obvioulsy killed by electricity, that has been there for at least 3 years and the body is perfectly preserved. If you saw it you would think that it was alive except for the fact that it doesnt move. Wouldn't it be maggot infested unless there is a current going through it? I don't get it.

Dan

Hide this!Advertise here!