Cabinet Building Technique of the Fanatics - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2007, 01:21 PM   #1
mikee55 is offline mikee55  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Cabinet Building Technique of the Fanatics

Here is the place to post Tips Tricks and a vast array of knowledge about Subwoofer construction.

Please add if you see anything missing.

Mikee55
Old 21st March 2007, 01:51 PM   #2
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

20 x 20 x 20 inch cube, 2 inch wall (2 layers MDF), 6th order Bandpass with passive radiator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub1.jpg (30.2 KB, 1225 views)
Old 22nd March 2007, 12:40 AM   #3
Account disabled at member's request

Nice idea Mike. I have been reading this forum for a few years now and I have to giggle sometimes at some of the construction advise offered.
I am a licensed journeyman carpenter by trade, so it's fair to say that I am a reliable source.

Tools: I am spoiled, I have everything. With that said, you don't need much to get excellent results. If you lack tools and the skill to use them, keep your project simple.Plan your project carefully. Prepare a cut list - this will be the size of all of the sides, top and bottom of your box. Take the list to your lumberyard (Homedepot, etc.) have them cut the parts. Measure the parts before you leave to make sure they are the right size. The worst is over!
You should have some basic hand tools such as hammer, saw , drill + common size bits, screwdrivers and clamps - big ones, as in big enough to clamp acroos the box. A jigsaw in a must( maybe you could borrow one) and if you want to get fancy, a router. Routers and router bits are expensive though and strictly speaking, you can make it without it.

Screws: Save yourself some grief - don't use drywall screws. They are brittle and the head can break off while driving them. Buy the best screws you can find, usually the ones for screwing down floors are very strong. Use #8 or #10 2 inches long if you are going through 3/4 inch stock into a solid wood corner brace. Don't use too many as they may split or weaken the material you are driving them into. Do not overtighten as they may break, and always drill a pilot hole.

Glue: Glue comes in a bottle, sealant comes in a tube. Modern glue makes a joint that is actually stronger than the surrounding wood. When it comes to wood, and wood products(MDF, plywood, particle board) there are only two types of glue I will use: Yellow carpenter's glue (PVA) for all interior work, and polyurethane glue for exterior or wet applications. Both of these will form the strongest, permanent bold possible. Both of these glues work best when applied liberally to the tight fitting joint and clamped till dry. The excess will squeeze out. If you find that your joints are not tight and you lack the ability to fix it, use of the polyurethane glue will actually bridge the gap, as it foams during the drying time. It can easily fill an eight inch gap( 2 MM).

Just the basics.

Have fun
John
Old 22nd March 2007, 12:49 AM   #4
Dr_EM is offline Dr_EM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This seems a suitable thread to ask in and should be very useful overall . When veneering, would you wrap the veneer around edges or must it never be folded? I'm talking about the iron on veneers such as these:

https://secure.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/...c096ad0a661887

My B&W speakers seem to have it wrapped around but it doesn't look like real wood anyhow.
Old 22nd March 2007, 12:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Oh Joy! ... sub box makin' ... Got any pics?

(That glue tip from MJL21193 is a great help. The screws, too)
Old 22nd March 2007, 01:05 AM   #6

Dr.EM: You should veneer one face at a time. Cut your pieces slightly larger, iron on and then CAREFULLY trim off the excess. Save the face of the box for last. Patience is key.
Old 22nd March 2007, 01:13 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Dr.Em,

My old 602's were wrapped with black ash effect vinyl. Thats probably why it goes round the corners nicely - it's not veneer!

Rob.
Old 22nd March 2007, 01:17 AM   #8

FastEddy: Here's one. In the heat of battle, I soiled my drivers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000758a.jpg (25.2 KB, 1120 views)
Old 22nd March 2007, 01:30 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

soiled my drivers ... is that like spottened your briches ??

Carefully, with the shop vac set to lowest, right?

What did you end up stuffing that box with?? Or did it need any?

" ... and were very liberal with internal bracing! ..."

That's the hot tip from GR-Research.com as well = lots of bracing, corners, across the "flat lands" = the broad surface area between the corners. Check out his plans (pdf files on line).
Old 22nd March 2007, 01:30 AM   #10
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I wish I had some pictures of the insides of some cabinets I saw while working at a pro audio company. They only used baltic birch plywood and were very liberal with internal bracing! I've seen some of the cabs with 2 15s take a 10 foot drop onto a stage and the damage was mainly cosmetic.

Hide this!Advertise here!