Will this upgrade make a difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,
In my home theater I currently have 4 sealed subwoofers with 10 inch Peerless drivers, specs below. Long story short, these are older drivers, probably 10 years or so, and I am looking to upgrade them in order to get better performance. The old drivers sound great but they bottom out when I start to push them.

My question is do you think I will notice a major difference in output by simply upgrading the drivers or should I consider going from 10's to 12's?

All else equal, will 2 12's sound better/deeper than 4 10's? I have multiple amps so power will not be an issue.

I have looked at the Peerless XLS 10's on Parts express as well as the HI-VI SP10 also on Parts Express. I realize I might need to modify my boxes to adjust for different drivers, I am just wondering it this is worth my time and money!!

The old drivers are Peerless model 831727. 8ohm. 220W max power handling. Fs 21.5Hz. Sensitivity 87.8dB. Xmax 9mm.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Quote:
"Best 10 inch sub drivers for sealed enclosure Post #1
Hello All,
First post for me, love this site!

I am looking for opinions on the best 10 inch sub driver on the market. I currently have 4 separate sealed sub boxes with older "Peerless" drivers that I use in my home theater.

I will feed each 10 with about 400 watts/rms and I want subs that I can drive HARD and LOW with little to no distortion.

I would appreciate anyone's opinion!

Thanks!!"

Sound familiar? Why did you start another thread on the exact same subject?

Speaker response depends on several factors. Driver specs, box size, box type, box construction method, damping method, crossover design. You were told in the previous thread that it's not as simple as replacing one driver for the other. That still applies.
Select a driver with similar parameters and install it in you box.
At least the driver will be new.

I realize that it is not that as simple as dropping in a new woofer and that there are a number of different variables that will affect the output.

The question I stated was: "All else equal, will 2 12's sound better/deeper than 4 10's?"

Generally speaking, all else being equal, will new drivers with similar parameters make that much of a difference?

Four new drivers at $150/apiece will run about $600. My question simply is would I be better off using that $600 on bigger drivers like 2 12's or would new drivers like the Peerless XLS make a dramatic difference in output?

I started a new thread because the prior was 3 pages deep already and I wanted to pose a different question.....

Sorry to offend.

brox said:
The question I stated was: "All else equal, will 2 12's sound better/deeper than 4 10's?"

The problem is the all else equal bit. You can't really say. If they really are closely matched then there will be little difference between them. The thing is they are often not all that closely matched.

brox said:
Generally speaking, all else being equal, will new drivers with similar parameters make that much of a difference?

See above.

brox said:
Four new drivers at $150/apiece will run about $600. My question simply is would I be better off using that $600 on bigger drivers like 2 12's or would new drivers like the Peerless XLS make a dramatic difference in output?

It depends on what you are looking for. I would usually choose less qualtity of larger drivers, for the logic that more drivers for the same money will have to be cheaper ones. Also larger drivers tend to be better suited to going lower and putting out more SPL.

Hi,

From your original post : you do not have 1.7cuft (internal) boxes.

I suggest with two boxes you go isobaric with a pair and vented at 26Hz.

:)/sreten.

Attachments

• guff.jpg
    guff.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 237
If your 4 10's are still working and sounding good less the bottoming & very low Frequency response you might consider Keeping the 10's in your system crossing them at the 40-50Hz range and use something like the Mach5 MJ18 for the really deep stuff. These speakers are less than $100 each and can blow away any 10" or 12" for very low frequencies. If you can do an IB manifold 2 MJ18's & a Behringer DCX2496 with your amp will be under your $600 budget.

I am NOT a fan of ports or passive radiators. Sealed or IB will give the best sound quality. Mark at Mach5 has a new 18" that should be available in the next couple weeks that has a cast basket, it will be more $$$ than the MJ18 but also has alot more Xmax which gives more displacement.

Are there any benefits in using both a ported and a sealed sub in the same room? Again, I have 4 10 inch sealed subs, is there any advantage at all in "porting" two of the boxes?

This all assumes that the new drivers are properly matched to the boxes and ports.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.