What size cable? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2007, 08:02 AM   #21
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

I seem to recall reading somewhere that wire gauge on subs has a big effect on damping factor. Not sure if there is any substance to it or not....
Old 28th March 2007, 08:06 AM   #22
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
all speakers that use a selected Q to tailor the low end response will be affected by extra resistance from the source+ connections.
Low end could just as easily apply to a full ranger or a mid/mass or a bass only or a mid only.
Old 28th March 2007, 11:48 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OzMikeH
just make sure you put the cords in opposite directions, you don't wants the electrons twisting anticlockwise on the way back to the amplifier in the southern hemisphere.

har har har
can even use white and grey cords for polarity.
No, I've found yellow (with blue and red stripes) cords from Bunnings to be really effective. And you can use the red/blue stripes to work out that your cords are running in the right direction.

The secret is to remember which end of the cord you cut which plug off (as the electrons flow from the wall into the other end, don't they?). And the electrons (jumbo ones from big amps) flow from the negative to the positive nodes of the amp. BUT, omigod, when I connect it up in bridged mode I have to use both positive speaker binding posts! What am I to do... ?
Old 29th March 2007, 10:35 AM   #24
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

I must point out to novices here that he is joking, (I hope - because I was with the clockwise thing)

And to set the record straight the electrons go both ways. Any audio signal is alternating current. (yes, technically it can have a dc offset but this is not a good thing for a speaker)
Old 29th March 2007, 12:13 PM   #25
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
even our novices know that electrons go in all directions (was it Brown? or was he on about gases?) and not just when AC flows.
It's the general drift that is seen as current flow and it's the drift in alternating directions that we interpret as AC.
Just to compound it the drift in a particular direction is negative flow.
And then we go and reverse it into our conventional current flow.
Stupid us (we expect novices to learn this!!).
Old 30th March 2007, 01:08 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

I must apologise also. Even though this is not a DIY amplifier we are talking about, the voltages and amperages (?is that a word?) that it can generate could be uncomfortable, if not down-right dangerous.

I do not wish to contribute to the Darwin awards, even if inadvertantly.

Don't worry, Mike, I know just enought to keep knitting needles out of the sockets in the wall - and that jumbo electrons go any damn way they want to!
Old 30th March 2007, 01:30 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Oh dont forget the impossibility and importance of oxygen free cables!!!!!! We dont want those jumbo electrons to breath!!!!!! Its way better for them to hold there breath from the amp to the driver. Otherwise they might slow down or decide to live and build homes and then breed inside the cable!!!!!!
Old 30th March 2007, 01:33 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cameron Glendin
Otherwise they might slow down or decide to live and build homes and then breed inside the cable!!!!!!
Will I need breeder resistors to stop them doing that ?
Old 30th March 2007, 05:34 AM   #29
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloth Ears

FYI on this amp/subwoofer, I am expecting a total of about 6 feet of cable total. 18 inches to the first terminal, 18 inches connecting the 2 drivers (in series), 36 inches back from the second driver to the amp.

When I do 2 runs of cable, it subtracts 3 from the AWG rating, doesn't it? So, 2 runs of 16, gives 13, and 4 runs of 16 gives 10. that's right, isn't it?
Greets!

Power wire runs are all about voltage drop (Vd) over distance, so for such a short run/11 ohms/~1453 W (based on 34 dB gain) with fractional Vd you only need ~2979 CM, or 15 ga. if copper, so anything bigger is essentially wasted, though of course it doesn't hurt performance in a sub app. Anyway, the terminations are typically the weak link in high power transient situations, with cold weld (properly crimped) connections to ring tongue connectors for stud or screw mounting being preferred over typical consumer speaker connectors.

Plenty close enough.

GM
Old 30th March 2007, 05:58 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Thanks GM.

How did you come by the figures - or is it a trade secret?

Hide this!Advertise here!