amp goes to protect, why?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two 10" 600w cvr dual voice coil subwoofers hooked up to a kicker 300.1 amplifier. The amplifier goes to protect when both speakers are hooked up but not when just one is. If someone could help me with this problem I would appreciate it.

some speaker specs:
Nominal Impedance: 2 Ohm
Power Handling Watts Peak: 600W RMS: 300W

Try series wiring.

Take the positive over to one of the woofers positive.

Run the negative to the negative on the other woofer.

Run a jumper wire from the negative on the first woofer to the positive on the other woofer.

See how that has created a loop? All the power has to go through both woofers to complete the circuit. If you did it the other way ie: split the positive into two and ran one to each woofer and did the same with the negative, you have paralleled them and allowed the impedance (resistance) to drop too low. Your amp will overheat and shut down because there is not enough impedance in the system.

EDIT: I see those are DVC so:

You can still run them in parallel if you series them at the drivers. Are you using both voice coils?

EDIT2: The amp is stable to 2 ohms so this is a suggestion:

Series them at the driver. Same thing as before but this time run the positive over to one of the woofer terminals. Run a jumper from that negative, over to the positive on the other set of terminals on the same woofer. Run the negative over to the second set of terminals negative.

Then you can run those two woofers in parallel (split) which is probably how you already have them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.