PMC TLE1 style sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure what the real tuning ended up as but it was designed with the computer worksheets so should be optimal.

I need to try and take some measurements but the computer programs for doing it are confusing me. I already have mics made with the WM-61A capsules.

It certainly goes a lot deeper than my B&W DM602, I missed it while I was veneering it; so that got put on hold so I could have it back in my setup :D . Have tried it with with films now too, it doesn't seem to miss anything but doesn't have an enourmous output, can make the door rattle though.

The enclosure being totally sealed now has helped and moving it into its proper location nearer the wall naturally increases output a little. Can't notice the driver noise very much now unless you put it right up (where the drivers are really going flat out).

Finally fixed the amplifier to the back and got it located where I want it in the room. Veneering and final finish may or may not be happening on this, its all became a bit untidy generally :xeye: . What I did went badly so I'd need to get rid of that first to do much else but overall I feel I can't really be bothered. As a design it has the potential to look good but I simply haven't got the experience to execute this properly. Things learnt; plan everything and never mount amplifiers on the back of speakers :eek: :D .

Nethertheless I find it a good sounding sub which really does enhance music. Basslines are so clear now, even with everything else going on you can follow the most complicated lines easily. Listening to All Saints - Black Coffee the, low bass note at the end of every bar is as clear as the rest and you can easily follow the various patterns throughout the song. I find the same on a lot of rock music too, where bass wasn't all that clear it becomes much sharper now. Also strange is having produced songs on older speakers/without sub I notice bits of bass I must have put in there in thinking that "some people will hear them", many of which were mixed far too high and are very evident now :D

The sub was more to the right but I've organised it to get it further from the wardrobe. Its not so loud now (since it was effectively in a corner) but it is much clearer. Overall the setup is far from ideal but manages to sound decent either way. I don't have to organise unused coathangers so carefully now to stop them rattling inside the wardrobe (a problem which caused me to remove the drivers trying to find the cause of this rattle on a previous occasion :eek: )

Attachments

• sub located.jpg
    sub located.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 410
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.