Sub Vibration Noise Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've recently built a vented sub 10" cabinet, and when i put the vent tubes in i hear a horrible noise like the wood vibrating. The box is really strong i put a lot of screws in it so it didn't vibrate but something still does vibrate, the vent tubes are not the problem. I was wondering if it's needed to cover the inside of the cabinet with some noise suspension material or it's not needed, i really don't know what to do:(i tried holding the cabinet firmly with a friend but it still vibrates. Any ideas?

the speaker is mounted using 8 screws with nuts, it looks and feels strong. The box has lots, and i mean LOTS of screws everywere. About the vents, when i put a tube in the vent, holding it with my hand not touching the enclosure, you can still hear the vibration noise, even when i put no tubes at all you can hear a slight vibration noise i assume coming from the inside. There are no loose parts inside at all.

Oh, the speaker comes with a rubber gasket!! so i don't think that's it

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hi. What kind of wood is it made from? Cheap plywood can have voids inside with loose material that buzz and drive you crazy. MDF is the best bet for subs.
Also are your vents large enough? High speed air can produce a sound as it goes though the port.

the speaker is not damaged, when it's off the box it sounds just fine. The vent size...well that might be a problem. When i take the connectors on the back of the cabinet off there a 2.5" whole, the sound changed dramatically but the vibration seems to dissappear. Like i said, the sounds changed and it's not so good. I can show you the cabinet plans, and pictures if you guys want

well the driver moves quite a lot, but even at low volume it vibrates. I'm almost sure it's not the driver, cause it sounds like wood vibrating. The sound can be compared with the sound an enclosure makes when the back panel is made of thin wood and it vibrates in the center. It sounds like that, except this wood is REALLY thick.
Should i cover the inside with some sound-prove material?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Once again, what wood is it made with? One layer? Two layers? It's not a hugh driver, so there is some construction problem.
I have 2 18" in a 60litre sealed box driven by 600++ watts peak and there is not a peep of sound ( except walls, floor, ceiling , furniture, the Earth shaking, rattling).

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Like I said before, screws will split MDF even if you drill the correct size pilot hole. When I do use them I am careful to keep them far from the end and try to keep them spaced apart. Yellow carpenters glue makes an extremely strong joint, especially if the parts fit together well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.