Need to repair 8" TB subwoofer, please help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I just recently built an enclosure for an 8" Tangband W8-670N I had hanging around. And as usual, something had to spoil the fun. While screwing in the driver, the screwdriver slipped and went through the foam surround.

The rip is about an inch long. I tested the sub in the enclosure and it actually sounds very impressive even with the damage. Does the tear really affect the driver that much in terms of maximum spl or sound quality?

Is there something I can use to patch it? I wouldn't mind replacing it but the only surround I could find to replace it is for a Cerwin Vega driver.

If you guys have any ideas please let me know, I'm amazed but what this little guy can do and would love to get it back in shape.

The box is 1.4 Cu Ft tuned to 30Hz and is used in my car if your curious.

Thanks.

Great Idea!
I went ahead and put some caulking on the back side, which was a pain (small area). I didn't use very much but hopefully enough to seal the puncture. If not I'll just add some more tommorow. Thanks for the idea Zuki, especially about not telling anyone :whazzat:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.