Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2007, 09:01 PM   #1
WBFAir is offline WBFAir  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Is my Sub's speaker bad?

Hello all, I have an Athena powered Subwoofer model P2, from the SCT series that I am using for my bedroom surround sound system. I am starting to have problems with it though and am hoping for some input from the more well known.

Its relevant specs are:

Front ported, bottom driver unit.
Woofer: 8" magnetically shielded
Amplifier: 400 watts* (100 watts RMS), MOSFET
Level & Bass Range Controls: from 50Hz-150Hz
Auto on/off
Anti Clip Circuitry
Frequency Response: 25Hz-150Hz
OD: 25 1/2" H x 9 1/2" W x 11" D

While this is an older model I purchased it about a year ago and but just started using it about 2 months ago after completing my bedroom remodel. Right after I bought it though (brand new from Athena as a leftover btw) I did run it for about a week at half volume to break it in (a break in was advised by instructions) and then boxed it away.

When I first used the sub about 2 months ago it sounded great with no problems, since then Iíve run it pretty loud a few times watching some concerts and have now noticed that the speaker has under almost any load conditions has a fuzzy like buzzing sound to it.

It still produces the sound and volumes so I know itís not blown and I have completely disassembled the sub to check for loose panels and other parts but everything was ok.

Iím assuming I must have damaged it some way though, maybe from what it known as clipping? So I was wondering if any others had any opinions.

Also if this is true I would assume I have to replace the speaker but given the little use the one in there got I would think I should replace it with something better so if anyone has any opinion on what brand I should use I would be glad to hear it. Basically I would be willing to spend about $200.00 on a replacement speaker.

Thank you.
Old 17th March 2007, 01:43 PM   #2
mikee55 is offline mikee55  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Hello there

Its got to be a dodgy piece of equipment. If the anti clip circuitry was working, the unit would be expected to be ok. 8 inch is too small me thinks, even a 10" is small in as much as I think maybe 100w rms is a fair amount of power for a bedroom unit. I could be wrong. If you've got a 100 watt amp,I'd be inclined to use it, buy a bigger driver,(if you have the space),and build you're self a box. Are you new to all this? If so the good people here would be only too glad to help you design and throw in ideas to help you. You'd get a buzz from your project and you will learn what were all about here. You need to ask for a type of enclosure you want to match the rest of your equipment. Ported, sealed T-Line( if you don't know anything ask for on box type-you may wish to use a different box to your mains) A linkwitz Transform and a sealed sub could give you a small sub with plenty of depth (skill of electronics needed)

http://sound.westhost.com/project71.htm

http://sound.westhost.com/project48.htm

http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm

This site helps, too. As do many others. Plenty of Forum users will give you links to more sites and will show their pics of things they've done.

If you're not new. Build a sub anyway and share your venture with us.

Cheers mike

Hide this!Advertise here!