High Quality Sub Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I realise this may be a question asked frequently, however strangely I was not able to find anything on the Forums.

At the moment I have my eyes set on an Ascendant Audio Avalanche 15 for a sonotube idea (see other thread) which are said to be some of the best drivers for the price avalable. However, I may not be able to get hold of one as they are becoming increasingly rare. What other similar quality drivers (or newer better ?) substitutes are avalable in the UK for a max price of ~ £130 - no parts express:(

The Avalanche 15's have the following T&S

Fs 15.7 Hz
Qms 3.5
Qes .334
Qts .305
Vas 300.6 L
Re 3.2 ohms
Znom* 4 ohms
Xmax 27 mm
Sd 749 cm2
Mms 269 g
Vd 4.04 L
Pnom 800 watts
Le 2.4 mH
Cutout 14.125"
Diameter 15.5"
Depth 7.875"
Weight 37 pounds

Lastly, Don't suppose anyone knows somebody with a barely used Avalanche 15 ??

@ richie00boy: Thanks for the reply, however they appear to be a little out of my price range with the drivers costing around £600 each or more. Are there not any subs with the quality of the Avalanche's so cheaply?

I shall have a look at the PDF for Caliber driver.

Looking at the T&S, generally the Fs seem quite high for sub bass driver at > 30hz but am I wrong?

I am wanting to achieve a response from around ~50 hz down to ~15 using a sonotube construction method which is why the avalanche seemed so suited with an Fs of 15.7 hz as well as the quality. I have struggled to even find another 15" driver with an Fs this low.

matt09 said:
Looking at the T&S, generally the Fs seem quite high for sub bass driver at > 30hz but am I wrong?

I don't think you're wrong. I use a Tempest (15" similar to Avalanche in many ways I think) in a 270L ported box tuned to 20hz, which is probably not far off what you're looking at doing. With other drivers you can always go smaller and sealed and use a bass boost to bring the bottom up (Linkwitz Transform circuit). The downside there is lack of maximum output level.

I've never seen drivers like Tempest, Avalanche etc. for sale in this country, at least not cheaply. I had mine shipped over from the States and would never do it again! Import duty, shipping cots, faulty/rubbing driver, massive waits etc...

Simon

They do look nice, although having never heard them or know of the general oppinions from other people with them being more expensive sub's, I am understandably questionable. Mainly due to the Xmax of just over 10 mil, I'm not looking for SPL but i do wonder how well it would hit the 15hz lows i want to aim for with such a low displacement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.