Peerless XLS10 and passive radiator design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Looking at building a subwoofer with a peerless xls10 and either 1 or 2 10" peerless Passive radiators.

Now i have been playing around with unixbox and i have come up with the following design based on the xls10 and 1 passive radiator.

The first design i came up with was a 32l enclosure with the xls10 and 1 passive radiator. Now this should give response down to 27hz before the the passive radiator hits max excursion. I have attached a graph of this design.

Now i assumed that if i could use 2 passive radiators then i should be able to come up with a design that gets me down to around 20hz, but playing with unibox i cant seem to come up with a design that will get me to that goal.

Can anyone suggest a way of getting down to 20hz using the 2 passive's and the XLS10?

Thanks,
Greg

Attachments

• pr response peerless swr 269 10.gif
    pr response peerless swr 269 10.gif
    20.1 KB · Views: 592
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hi,
I ran the sub you want with two passive radiators on unibox and came up with a design that will give good response down to 20Hz, but the box would be be large (70 litres). What weight PR did you input? 400 grams is what I tried. Adding weight to the PR will lower FB, but you give up some efficiency.

Have you thought of using the 12" PR instead?

I've found that the excursion shown in the software doesn't directly relate to the real world in most cases. I have FR drivers that should hit the stops at less than 1W but are still powering at 30W.... program material is different. There was a thread in the FR section recently about this.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Smaller box means adding mass to passives. This will also reduce excursion. Your 265 gram PR is more suited to a smaller driver, its too light for what you want. Its easy- add weight to the passives in unibox untill you get the response where you want it with the box size you want.

I have a problem with something of the same build. Got 1 Peerless XLS 10 sub and one xls 10 passive radiator (265 g mms) built into a 30 L box with an amp giving about 160 watts.

My problem is simulation of the excursion of the slave.
I have seen many building guides saying you need to add weight to avoid hitting xmax on the slave.

(for example: Build your own 10" subwoofer, a detailed how-to - Conclusion
and http://www.d-s-t.com.au/data/Peerless/Peerless_XLS_Subwoofer.pdf

In this design, it doesn't seem like he adds any weight tho..
Peerless XLS10 10" Subwoofer (830452) and Passive Radiator (830481))

When I plot it in bassbox with 160 watts, I get about 18 mm of excursion at around 24-25 hertz.

Am I right that I don't need to add weight to the slave or have I miscalculated somewhere? I hope someone can help me :)

Regards
Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.