Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2007, 08:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Peerless XLS10 and passive radiator design

Hi,

Looking at building a subwoofer with a peerless xls10 and either 1 or 2 10" peerless Passive radiators.

Now i have been playing around with unixbox and i have come up with the following design based on the xls10 and 1 passive radiator.

The first design i came up with was a 32l enclosure with the xls10 and 1 passive radiator. Now this should give response down to 27hz before the the passive radiator hits max excursion. I have attached a graph of this design.

Now i assumed that if i could use 2 passive radiators then i should be able to come up with a design that gets me down to around 20hz, but playing with unibox i cant seem to come up with a design that will get me to that goal.

Can anyone suggest a way of getting down to 20hz using the 2 passive's and the XLS10?

Thanks,
Greg
Attached Images
File Type: gif pr response peerless swr 269 10.gif (20.1 KB, 370 views)
Old 14th March 2007, 01:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Maybe this will help. http://www.bamberglab.com/xls.shtml
Old 14th March 2007, 03:46 AM   #3
Account disabled at member's request

Hi,
I ran the sub you want with two passive radiators on unibox and came up with a design that will give good response down to 20Hz, but the box would be be large (70 litres). What weight PR did you input? 400 grams is what I tried. Adding weight to the PR will lower FB, but you give up some efficiency.
Old 14th March 2007, 09:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I am using 265g passive radiators. I didn't really want to go over say 50l for box size. Maybe i am being to optimistic about the response down to 20hz, maybe i should aim a little higher (although 20hz would be nice!).
Old 14th March 2007, 11:08 AM   #5
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Have you thought of using the 12" PR instead?

I've found that the excursion shown in the software doesn't directly relate to the real world in most cases. I have FR drivers that should hit the stops at less than 1W but are still powering at 30W.... program material is different. There was a thread in the FR section recently about this.
Old 15th March 2007, 12:59 AM   #6

Smaller box means adding mass to passives. This will also reduce excursion. Your 265 gram PR is more suited to a smaller driver, its too light for what you want. Its easy- add weight to the passives in unibox untill you get the response where you want it with the box size you want.
Old 15th March 2007, 02:46 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Here's a project using the 10" XLS and passive radiator.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/acti...tarticle/1789/

And another using a 12" XLS and 2 passive radiators.

http://www.geocities.com/adrian_mack/
Old 15th March 2007, 10:59 PM   #8

In Sander's project on http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/act...ntarticle/1789/
he actually adds 200 grams to the 400 gram passive radiator to get the response down to below 20Hz. Well worth reading.
Old 9th October 2012, 10:05 PM   #9
pegodk is offline pegodk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I have a problem with something of the same build. Got 1 Peerless XLS 10 sub and one xls 10 passive radiator (265 g mms) built into a 30 L box with an amp giving about 160 watts.

My problem is simulation of the excursion of the slave.
I have seen many building guides saying you need to add weight to avoid hitting xmax on the slave.

(for example: Build your own 10" subwoofer, a detailed how-to - Conclusion
and http://www.d-s-t.com.au/data/Peerles..._Subwoofer.pdf

In this design, it doesn't seem like he adds any weight tho..
Peerless XLS10 10" Subwoofer (830452) and Passive Radiator (830481))

When I plot it in bassbox with 160 watts, I get about 18 mm of excursion at around 24-25 hertz.

Am I right that I don't need to add weight to the slave or have I miscalculated somewhere? I hope someone can help me :-)

Regards
Peter

Hide this!Advertise here!