Sonotube in the UK ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Would like to attempt one of this soon sometime, however does anyone know about avalability for of parts - i.e the tubing and the best suppliers for the UK. I have searched the forums and not found anything.

Also am I correct in thinking that this design is one of the best around to get a flat response from a good mid to extended low with only a single driver due to the sheer internal volume or is there a better design (excluding the rare subsonic and less commonly used designs etc) ?

Thanks.

Thanks for you fast reply, this will be the first sub I have built, how easy are Sonotubes to make compared to a Sealed box or similar enclosure?

Also is it necessary for the diameter of the tube to be almost the same as the tube, or can it be quite a bit larger?

Lastly, how would you set about working out the equations with a tube? Would the tube have to be a certain diameter for it to work best - ie tuning frequencies and such, or is that all in the length of sonosub and inner port tube? Are there hidden complications in this design, as I am a newbie.

Thanks.

matt09 said:
Hello,

Would like to attempt one of this soon sometime, however does anyone know about avalability for of parts - i.e the tubing and the best suppliers for the UK. I have searched the forums and not found anything.

Also am I correct in thinking that this design is one of the best around to get a flat response from a good mid to extended low with only a single driver due to the sheer internal volume or is there a better design (excluding the rare subsonic and less commonly used designs etc) ?

Thanks.

I've got a length of this gathering dust in my cellar - leftover from a previous project. 18" diameter x 5 foot long.

Yours for the taking if you want it - collection only from London I'm afraid, unless anyone's going to DIY2007 with a transit van! :)

cheers,

Len.

Thanks for the offer but I don't think i'll be able to get there:(

It would be very helpful if someone were to answer the questions

how easy are Sonotubes to make compared to a Sealed box or similar enclosure and are they they best design around for mid to sub low bass with a single driver?

Is it necessary for the diameter of the tube to be almost the same as the tube, or can it be quite a bit larger?

Lastly, how would you set about working out the equations with a tube? Would the tube have to be a certain diameter for it to work best like x amount larger than the driver diameter - ie tuning frequencies and such, or is that all in the length of sonosub tube and inner port tube?

Are there hidden complications in this design, as I am a newbie?

If these were answered it would be very helpful indeed.

Thanks

how easy are Sonotubes to make compared to a Sealed box or similar enclosure and are they they best design around for mid to sub low bass with a single driver?
Sonotubes aren't a design but a construction method. With this method you can build several designs like closed, vented, transmission line, etc. For sonotube construction the same rules apply as it does for those designs in general.

How easy it's depends on your tools, skills, etc. But if you got a router or jigsaw and at least one right hand you should be ok. As for equations, I can think of non other than the equation for calculating the inner volume and the calculation of the maximum length in case of closed/vented and standing wave's. All should be quite easy to find.

It might be a good idea to study the general info a bit more, especially about the specific design you're going to build, if I understood your questions intentions correctly that is.

Wkr Johan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.