Mach 5 MJ-18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2007, 07:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mach 5 MJ-18

I'm fairly new to this forum, as a member at least. I've been reading the posts on here for quite some time. Over the years I've gotten pretty keen on my electronics and speaker(subwoofer) knowledge. It even helped me on my ACT. I'm young, like bass-y music and all that. I know there's a lot of kids out there who go to best buy and buy some stuff and stick it in their cars.. and they don't really know whats going on.
Anyways, I recently decided to buy a Mach 5 MJ-18 driver, and it came today. First off, I'm used to dealing with 12's and 15's, and this thing is Huge! Right now I have 3 12's in my car running off of 2 300 watt class AB amplifiers. As of right now, this sounds like a car audio topic, but my question is...
With the following subs
(2)Pioneer TS-W306C
(1)Audiobahn Alum12n
(1)Mach 5 Audio MJ-18
What would be the best setup?
I was thinking of using the Audiobahn and the MJ in two separate ported boxes in the trunk of my car, and possibly making some sort of low quality home woofer system with the pioneers, I'm not really looking for quality.
I was thinking for the car, a 5.5 cu ft box for the 18 at around 30 hertz and whatever's left for the audiobahn.
Any suggestions on any new ideas?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm also kinda looking for anyone else who has the MJ and what they've done with it... maybe some Xmech knowledge and how much it can really handle. It seems to have quite the tight suspension.
Old 11th March 2007, 07:03 AM   #2
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
I was actually just playing around with this specific driver. It's a heck of a bargain, and I think your box dimensions and setup will work well for you. What exactly are you looking for though here. If your looking for max output, to win some competitions, then your box design isn't ideal. However, if SQ is important, well rather, if you will be using it to listen to normal music as well, then its a great box design, but probably won't win you any competitions. That 18 will work great with a 300 watt amp, as long as we are talking RMS, however the Audiobahn is going to want a bit more power for max output. I agree with your idea to place them in seperate boxes, it will be too hard for you to design a single ported box that will optimize both speakers. As much as I want to tell you to use the 18" for really low bass and the 12" for higher bass, you actually can get greater low end extension from that 12 then from the 18, the 18 will give you a lot more output though. I know your probably trying to just use what you have, but I think a better setup would be two of those 18" woofers in a 7-8 cubic foot enclosure tuned to a similar frequency.
Old 11th March 2007, 03:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I know that the 2 18's would give more output, but as I'm not trying to win any competitions and just want some fairly low extension for daily driver type situations, I was thinking the 30 hz tuning would be nice.
Old 13th March 2007, 02:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Today in industrial tech, I bought some scrap wood from the set crew for the musical and built a box. Its about two feet by two feet by one foot tall. It was a quick job... probably about an hour and some with me and a friend working on it. Its not the final box, just used for testing. I did some quick models in WinISD and figured out that modifying one of the sides to incorporate a 37 hz tuned port at about 11.5 x 2.5 by about 14 deep would help low end (about mid 30's) by quite a bit. Also, as I'm not hammering that much power into the thing, air velocity won't be much of a problem. As of right now its sitting in my room, with about 60 watts to it and barely moving. Even still, everything shakes. Basically, I'm looking to see if anyone has any better plans. Also, this box is still just a test box. I might run some higher tuning into the box just to see what kind of SPL I can pull. The final box is still planned to be a ~30 hz tuned ported box at 5.9 cu ft in a car, with a lot more power. I'm just playing right now until I get some more money.

Suggestions Please
!
Old 13th March 2007, 03:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Video?
Old 13th March 2007, 03:18 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Haha. You're funny. You'll probably be seeing it in action tomorrow, as well as helping me port the thing. We should use your plate amp and test it out.
Old 14th March 2007, 10:30 PM   #7
hooha is offline hooha  Canada
diyAudio Member

Personally, I'd do the single MJ-18 in your car and forget adding the Audiobahn - you won't need it.

Not sure how much car audio experience you have, so I'll make a few general suggestions here. If you have the height to mount the driver vertically, do it and face the driver towards the rear. You won't need that big a box to get very good output. I've seen MJ-18's in boxes as small as 2 cubes sealed and they slammed.

Tuning at 30Hz *might* make things sound heavy and bloated. Tune it higher - say ~33Hz and let the car environment pick up the rest.

Best,
Mark
Old 15th March 2007, 02:42 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I guess you could say I'm quite above the average car audio enthusiast..not trying to be insulting. Right now my setup consists of the 3 12's as I've said. The audiobahn is at 37~38 hz tuned in a 3.5 cubes box and it is by far louder than the two sealed pioneers. Modeled, the audiobahn as it is, does better than the Mach 5 would even do at 40hz in the big box. My current setup is doing fairly well for a daily driver situation with well over 130 db from about 80 hz down to about 35 hz off of about only 500 watts rms total. I've got the bass volume pretty good, I just want to try for some lower extension and lower distortion. I've modeled my trunk out pretty nice, and as my trunk isn't tall enough for the 18 to upright, its slanted a bit. Tell me what you think
Thanks for the input.
zolthoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trunkmodel.jpg (41.2 KB, 356 views)
Old 15th March 2007, 03:39 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hooha
Personally, I'd do the single MJ-18 in your car and forget adding the Audiobahn - you won't need it.

Not sure how much car audio experience you have, so I'll make a few general suggestions here. If you have the height to mount the driver vertically, do it and face the driver towards the rear. You won't need that big a box to get very good output. I've seen MJ-18's in boxes as small as 2 cubes sealed and they slammed.

Tuning at 30Hz *might* make things sound heavy and bloated. Tune it higher - say ~33Hz and let the car environment pick up the rest.

Best,
Mark
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's saying the MJ-18 would hold its own, and that the Audiobahn really isn't needed. I'm not only saying this because of what it sounds like... but he's expecting me to help him fit it all in his truck and do the install
Old 15th March 2007, 03:13 PM   #10
hooha is offline hooha  Canada
diyAudio Member

Interesting design, but I still think you would be doing your ears a disservice by keeping the Audiobahn in there. Unless you were planning to cross the two drivers over separately and using the 12" more as a mid-bass, there is little, if no advantage. Even then, the 12" probably wouldn't fulfill that requirement as other more dedicated units can.

I recall reading a rather long thread on ca.com about this exact thing, and the consensus from the more experienced folk was that it would do more harm than good.

Best,
Mark

Hide this!Advertise here!