Collaborative Tapped horn project

After I moved out my parents took in an elderly man with plural fibrosis, that's a horrible condition to have. And a horrible death, but more importantly it ruins your quality of life long before you go.

For TL's and the like FG is not really what you want anyway, you are afterall trying to alter the speed of sound with a "fiberous tangle" not absorb energy by converting it into heat. Get some poly batting from JoAnn or WallyWorld and "live long and prosper" ;)

After I moved out my parents took in an elderly man with plural fibrosis, that's a horrible condition to have. And a horrible death, but more importantly it ruins your quality of life long before you go.

For TL's and the like FG is not really what you want anyway, you are afterall trying to alter the speed of sound with a "fiberous tangle" not absorb energy by converting it into heat. Get some poly batting from JoAnn or WallyWorld and "live long and prosper" ;)

Well, what I have now is a pair of tapped horns...these:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/143714-lab12-tapped-horn.html

I substituted the drivers for TC Sounds Epic 12s. I haven't used any stuffing or damping at all in the cabinets.

I didn't mean to sound as if I was downplaying a serious illness, but of all the things I've done in my life, a few fibers in the air from a spirited driver is the least of my concerns ;)

The amount of engineering put into tobacco products is easily on par with the iphone. If you think about it these two things are now in direct contention for a users time. Maybe Apple should buy up and re-task the tobacco industry to finding the cure for cancer. Thus becoming the worlds savior and putting a lock on being the thing you absolutely positively spend the most time with.

OK that was STRANGE :(

The amount of engineering put into tobacco products is easily on par with the iphone. If you think about it these two things are now in direct contention for a users time. Maybe Apple should buy up and re-task the tobacco industry to finding the cure for cancer. Thus becoming the worlds savior and putting a lock on being the thing you absolutely positively spend the most time with.

OK that was STRANGE :(

LOLOL!

Hey, you aren't anywhere near Kansas City, are you? We could have a f**kin blast I think.

hey guys, just a short one :D
I wonder if anyone have tried a TH with slot opening(mouth) ?
Tinitus,

I have tried many TH mouth openings, a small sample below.

Define "slot".

Art

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 298
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
yeah
good I only need one then
flat and wide, placed against the backwall between the main speakers
might be two smaller woofers, face to face, in the middle, and ported at both sides
or just a wide opening/mouth at the bottom/floor
maybe it doesnt need any 'mouth', just loading down towards the floor

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Finally got something done!
As you can see I went for an interesting fold to get it to fit under my bed :) It might have not been the best idea, but what's done is done and I've learned a lot.
I went with 12mm BB for the build so the wood cost quite a lot but I'm overall happy with how it works. It seems to have a horrible null at 45hz but I think I overstuffed the rear of the horn. I don't have any stuffing in the "front" part. I'll play around with that and try to find a good spot for it in the room.
Listening impressions: sounds different from a ported box, no direct radiator and transients do seem faster than ported boxes I've heard. Corner loading sounds terribly boomy :grumpy:
Oh yeah, I haven't finally sealed it up yet, just screwed together tight.

just a wide slim opening/mouth
maybe like 100x800mm wide (random figure)

hey, thats quite a large number you have built there :D
TH designs can be made "flatter" with a wider mouth. As long as the horn path length, internal volume and expansion ratio remain the same, any form factor (within reason, a 100/1 aspect ratio would probably not work well) may be employed.

The Keystone prototype pictures you refer to as a "large number" all had slightly different response curves, when going with a "wide slim" cabinet, the exit shape can make a difference and was worth the experimentation.

Unfortunately, Hornresp assumes a round exit, so the experimentation has to be an assemble and measure/listen approach.

Art Welter

Last edited: