Collaborative Tapped horn project

THSUB_couch

Hi,

I spend a little time drawing the THSPUD_couch in ACAD to arrive at the dimensions needed for hornresp. Obviously the positions for S2-S3-S4 are somewhat arbitrary, but close enough.

As GM pointed out, it seems to model just fine with the TRIO-8; and as Cowan has already stated - a few times - at the frequencies involved the two speakers behave like one.

Regards, Oliver.

Attachments

• td_thspud_couch.pdf
    19.6 KB · Views: 219
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
OK, thanks

W-740P or W8-740Q...foam surround, that will be the W8-740P
and mr Danley used those, interesting

I expect that the 12mm Xmax is (p-p)

If I remember correctly the Trio8 has twice that Xmax :D

Just looking at Trio8
Something seems strange

Voicecoil....16mm height
Xmax 28mm(p-p)
And very thick poleplate

Maybe some calculated effect of the XBL, or an error :rolleyes:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Sabbelbacke said:

The Tangband has a poor BL-Curve, so putting it into an isobaric configuration (push/pull) is a very good idea.

Logically true isobaric should work more effectively than the "ordinary" pushpull
Only, its said that Isobaric is prone to go into not wanted ressonance, if drivers are too different

I especially like the beauty of the way pushpull is used in tapped horns
To me it seems like it presents a perfectly summed acoustic output, both ways...and drivers dont load each other too much to give any problems, kind of like the best of both worlds...theoretically

To me it seems that a tapped horn is the only design principle that does that, that is if it really does work that way :cool:

But if drivers are too far off, they may load each other badly under heavy load, ressonating and making things even worse
Well, Im just not so very sure about it :confused:

But I will do it anyway :D

At some point I was thinking that when using a single woofer, its mostly with magnet "out", which means that it is loading the horn throath in the direction where its strongest, namely forward...dont if that makes any sense at all, or whether the driver is loaded equally in both directions :confused:

"Are those sub woofers in the picture you posted old EV or JBLs?."

They are custom, and have 8mm x-max. The cabinet tuning is 6th order vented with an F3 of around 30hz and 101dB/2.83V/1M (8 ohms). Two a side are 107dB/2.83V and a 4 ohm load.

"Since the mid and tops are JBL..."

The HF are JBL2380/2441, but the mids are custom fiberglass with custom drivers similar to JBL2202. The HF most often used with this set-up is the EV HP640/DH 1A.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
tinitus said:

But if drivers are too far off, they may load each other badly under heavy load, ressonating and making things even worse
Well, Im just not so very sure about it :confused:

Sorry if you think Im being too critical towards this, but I am so even with things I believe in myself

In my world EVERYTHING has flaws somewhere, and I just like to find out exactly where the flaws are

Sorry, but thats just how I am :clown:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Hi
I hope that you dont me posting this one again

It shows how its possible to have a pushpull with drivers loading each other less, or not at all, but still a perfectly summed output

Attachments

• tapped twin.jpg
    tapped twin.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,009
@mwmkravchenko
Thanx. I was talking about the klippel measurements. Those were the ones I meant:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/9060-8-midbass-comparison.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The TangBand is a little monster and I like it :) It does a good job in Bill Fitzmaurices Car-Horn, in several closed or ported installations, small tapped horns... But the suspension and the motor isn´t linear at all, compared to other 8". But for the price, it´s almost the only one (with the parts express euivvalent) with a very rugged cone, enough BL and high x-max...

Sabbelbacke said:
No, xmax of the tangbands is 12mm one side, so it´s 24mm p-p :)

Somewhere at another diy-site there was a klippel measurement of 8" car-subs. The Tangband has a poor BL-Curve, so putting it into an isobaric configuration (push/pull) is a very good idea.

Sabbelbacke,

You are absolutely correct. Looking at the Bl curve below, it can be seen that the 71% (Xmag) point becomes +17.5mm and -17.5mm when the W8-740 is used in push-pull. This lets us pick up and additional +/- 2.5mm than what is spec'ed for the woofer. Yummm..... more Xmax and higher peak SPL. This is the best way to use this woofer.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.