Collaborative Tapped horn project

Hi,
if these LF versions can just about manage two octaves of clean reproduction, would a shorter version do a similar frequency range or might it go to three octaves?
A long sub doing 15Hz to 50Hz and a small driver (5inch) version doing 50Hz to 300/400Hz would be very attractive (not literally).

How do we integrate them into the system?
4pole Linkwitz Reilly?
Do we need any notch filters or EQ to smooth out that ripply area above the passband?

Hi AndrewT, a shorter version will only get you 2 octaves, but higher :)

The lowest 2 octaves are the best sounding. Above that, the interferences rise. The TH-115 goes up to 200 hz -3db and 280hz -10db. If you get the parameters right, the first dip in the response can get nearly away, offering a bit more bandwidth.

I used LR4 crossover and was happy with it. I think i hear a difference when i use linear phase digital crossover, but that can be my imagination.

Actually the room does much more harm to your frequency response than a little ripple from the subwoofer. A lot more. So much more that i really think proper room treatment is the definite next step on my to do list. I read some books about it and its obvious why not many people try it, since it involves alot of work and material put in the room.

K-tap.gif

This last one was for those familiar with the Karlson to think about and comment on.

Bill Woods built a BLH with an 8" Fostex and tried a K-Slot exit vs a simple rectange exit. The K-Slot has better performance in the midbass (70hz~100hz).

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/...session=&&moniker=RCA-fan&invite=&w=800&h=500

When looking at most tapped horn graphs I notice a peak near the Fc with a small but broad dip above there, with another peak higher up. I wonder if the K-Slot used as an exit would make things work better (I don't have a clue as to how it could be simulated).

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/...session=&&moniker=RCA-fan&invite=&w=361&h=480

Greets!

Yikes! :eek: I had it for ~five days recently and thought I was going to have to shoot myself to end it. What bugs me most is I don't have a clue what caused it or why it went away :scratch:, just glad it did, so can only hope it goes away real soon! :smash:

Anyway, what drivers/specs with a low Fs do you have on hand that might work down to 30 Hz or has a 50-60 Hz Fs?

GM

Greets!

Dunno, though it did occur during the recent record high 'Indian Summer' we recently had. Now I've got a low grade infection from sinus drainage messing with the left side of my face and neck glands, so pretty miserable in a different way now. Life can really suck without affordable medical care.

Wasn't aware of the 4012, but sure hope its published specs aren't as typo riddled as its Vas. Anyway, after the latest round of NSAIDs kick in maybe I'll be lucid enough to run some sims in hornresp.

Have a better one,

GM

Hi Freddi,

I have a Magnum12HO that I am currently building. Yours is a newer version of my driver, I plugged in your specs to my horn and response is actually a little better. All in a 13.5x15x72 inch box.

Jeff

Attachments

• definimax12ho.jpg
    definimax12ho.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 779
JSS said:
Hi Freddi,

I have a Magnum12HO that I am currently building. Yours is a newer version of my driver, I plugged in your specs to my horn and response is actually a little better. All in a 13.5x15x72 inch box.

Jeff

Hi, do you know where I can find the specs of the Magnum12HO compared to the 4012?

Great thread btw, horns are awesome for efficiency.

than you so much - looks strong even in half-space - - did you make comparisons to 7ft pipe in the same footprint and come up with 6ft as best compromise? wonder what a k (or Fulmer) opening would do to its response other than possibly shorten the path? Best, Freddy

JSS said:
Freddi, here's the 2Pi, I scribbled the dimensions on paper, will look for it and post.

Mike, links below:
www.eminence.com/pdf/definimax-12ho.pdf
http://speakerstore.nl/luidsprekers/Eminence/pdf/MAGNUM12HO.pdf
Hey, thanks for the PDF links... The specs are so similar I think the speakers are almost identical, with maybe a few tweaks on the 4012...

The results look good tho. I've seen a few normal horn designs for this driver, namely BFM's Tuba30 and Tuba36's designs, and it looks like a tapped horn can achieve similar results in smaller box... :) I think the fact that the 4012 is already used in a horn design shows that it is a good driver for this sort of thing... high Fs, good xmax, etc.