Collaborative Tapped horn project - Page 51 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2007, 07:13 PM   #501
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Don - thank you very much - what's its external dimensions? (looks like DJ horn)

Freddy
Old 10th July 2007, 08:04 PM   #502
diyAudio Member

Hi Freddi,

Box is 17x21x64 w/ 4.25x15.6 throat and 15x15.6 mouth. Mat'l is18mm Birch ply.

Hornresp says that max one way excursion will be 10mm at 41 Hz and 200 watts, useable from 32 Hz to 90 Hz with 400 watts.

I am thinking about building the box as shown, knowing that I'll have to add bracing. The driver is loaded in thru the mouth, so I hope that I don't have to put bracing there.
Old 11th July 2007, 05:45 PM   #503
diyAudio Member

Hi Don - not a bad box size for output - sim shows ~101dB @31Hz 1pi @2.83v.

some TH sim using expansion and aspect lilke William's 30Hz example have a 6dB dip that seems hard to remove - what's the best ways to juggle that out? (driver selection?) - someone asked about TH for Beyma 15K200 and I can't get one really smooth

will regular 7 ply birch work ok for some TH?
Old 11th July 2007, 08:36 PM   #504
diyAudio Member

Hi Freddi - After using AkAbak and Hornresp to shrink this monster, I determined that this box was the largest I could tolerate.

With a conical tapped horn, you've only got 5 variables (S1, S4, L12, L23, L34) and the driver. S2 & S3 are not variables, as they can be calculated from the others. Now comes the hard part, finding a driver that is close enough to ideal for the 5 variables to tweak the horn into something you would want.

Regular 7 ply birch has voids and tends to delaminate at the edges. With luck, the voids won't be where they can cause problems, but do you really want to depend on luck?

I'm not an expert, this is only my second large cabinet. I found the following website to be very helpful:

http://speakerplans.com/index.php?id=guide
Old 11th July 2007, 08:56 PM   #505
diyAudio Member

HI Don - thanks - -

might it be advantageous in some tapped horn to space the driver and truncate throat area?

Best,
Freddy
Old 18th July 2007, 10:05 PM   #506
diyAudio Member

@david
Hornresp 16.2 is out, great What´s new this time?

Thanx a lot again!!
Old 19th July 2007, 06:04 AM   #507
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabbelbacke
@david
Hornresp 16.2 is out, great What´s new this time?

Thanx a lot again!!
Hi Sabbelbacke,

Nothing particularly exciting to report this time - for the sake of completeness the functionality of the Wavefront Simulator tool has been extended to work with tapped horns. Previously the simulator simply defaulted to a point source when a tapped horn design was being considered. The new feature does not have any practical application as far as I can see :-).

The latest release of Version 16.20 is Product Number 1620-070719.

Kind regards,

David
Old 19th July 2007, 11:30 AM   #508
diyAudio Member

Thanx
Old 19th July 2007, 01:41 PM   #509
diyAudio Member

hi i had a small querry about horn loaded speakers
I once thought of designing Horn loaded speaker but then i thought how will i open it or repair it or how will i change the driver if it gets broken, or if some wires get loose
speaker will be invisible??
the only solution i think is to load the horn in the rear of the speaker, and keep front end of speaker outside.... But will that work nice ????

Don Snyder - design
i think design is nice, external motor will keep driver cool, BUT wont the front n rear wave cansel each other, i mean there has to be some specific length of horn to invert front wave by 180 degress so that it can be fixed with rear wave ????, i like the design, pls. help i m considering this for my next to next woofer box design

N yes , can ny 1 suggest me a nice s/w to simulate these horn loaded enclosures, untill now i m use to WINISD
Attached Images
File Type: gif kappath.gif (4.0 KB, 1330 views)
Old 19th July 2007, 02:02 PM   #510
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Tapped horns for dummies

a few questions from someone trying to get their head around the basics of the concept.

What T/S specs make a driver suitable for a tapped horn?

Is there an ideal "slope" for the interior baffle (expansion rate)?

Can a tapped horn be designed for a suitable driver without special software or a degree in mathematics?

Is building a tapped horn without careful design likely to result in disaster?

What effect does the changing the size of the opening have?

Is there any advantage in using multiple smaller (8 inch) drivers?
2 medium (10 inch) drivers? 1 large driver?

Would a more even response be acheived by having 2 different angled baffles and drivers in one cabinet? see the rough sketch, vents out the bottom. Probably feindishly difficult to model.
Attached Images
File Type: gif dual tapped horn.gif (4.1 KB, 1363 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!