Collaborative Tapped horn project - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2007, 03:22 PM   #491
diyAudio Member

Hy Tako,

this would be great, indeed. But itīs not a simple task, since boundary effects and reflections, Baffle.Step, room gain etc. have to be implemented to get accurat results, not to mention a good knowledge on how these work for the user in order to get good results. As far as I understand your request, being able to choose between half-space, quarter-space, free space, etc.. doesnīt surfice your needs, right? (Since this already is possible)

Being able to do so in hornresp would pimp this "little diamond" to an even more awesome tool...

In the meantime, try Akabak for this, it ist able to simulate almost every environment and takes Box-sizes into account.
Old 4th July 2007, 11:22 PM   #492
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Yes I have AkAbak since 2 years, but I wasn't able to model the directivity coused Gain. I have measurements from BDEAP and I wasn't able to model its directivity behavior...
It should affect the response of tapped horns stacked in groups becouse they have a relatively big front surface...

Thanks,

Tamas
Old 5th July 2007, 03:34 AM   #493
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Chris8sirhC
I noticed that the responses that have been achieved on this thread are very good, but I still wonder if there is something we have not figured out yet, since the real DTS-20 has a better response. It goes slightly deeper, and extends further. Can anybody account for the difference?
Old 5th July 2007, 06:22 AM   #494
diyAudio Member

G'day Chris8sirhC

It comes pretty close in my models when I use an exponential horn that would be folded twice in a box the size of a DTS-20(path goes down from the driver then heads back up and down again). A driver with a ~30Hz Fs and other specs similar to the LAB12 helps too. A suitable driver is not too easy to find, in practice. The Peerless XLS and XXLS drivers I've been playing with are not optimal in this regard. I'm fairly confident the DTS20 driver is very similar to a LAB12 with a stiffer spider and/or less Mms.

Cheers

William Cowan
Old 5th July 2007, 06:33 AM   #495
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ttako
I would like to see the gain coused by the directivity behavior included in the SPL response as an option. Furthermore if you use horns wich are built in into a bigger surface (like the moost tapped horns or as a special case the BDEAPs) it would be nice to have a parameter for the height and the width of the front surface of the boxes...
Also the reflexions from the edges changes the frequency response mainly in ht eHF and MF range...
Hi Tamas,

Nice to hear from you again, it's been quite a while :-).

As Sabbelbacke points out, taking the directivity effects of a multiple speaker array into account (accurately) as part of calculating the overall SPL is not such an easy thing to do. In all honesty, I think that I would probably be just wasting my time trying to make Hornresp operate at that level of sophistication - there are simply too many variables involved :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 6th July 2007, 09:19 PM   #496
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Chris8sirhC
Do you have any idea when you will have a chance to put up the plans for the 18hz horn?
Old 10th July 2007, 05:35 AM   #497
diyAudio Member

Default Bracing suggestions ???

I'm trying to build a 3 meter tapped horn with a KappaLite 3015LF. Will the bracing shown be adequate?
Attached Images
File Type: gif kappath.gif (4.0 KB, 1060 views)
Old 10th July 2007, 08:27 AM   #498
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

No.

You need to run at least a 1X3 (on edge) the full length of all the long panels in addition to your tiny cross braces.
Old 10th July 2007, 04:59 PM   #499
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Don - whats your model for 3015LF?
Old 10th July 2007, 06:08 PM   #500
diyAudio Member

Hi DJK, I suspect that you're right, but those two braces do add stiffness to two of the three worst areas (the free edge of the flare and the right edge of the mouth). I think that the left edge of the mouth requires some bracing, and the large, unsupported areas need help.

Hi Freddi, here is the hornresp input:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horn.jpg (56.7 KB, 1003 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!