Collaborative Tapped horn project - Page 49 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2007, 12:29 AM   #481
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

wizard = awesome David ! - you've beat Akabak - this is one powerful "little" program - many thanks for all the versions. (may I ask -do you have a horn system?)

how does one interpret narrow group delay spikes in tapped horn predictions? - here's a 3M variant of William's 30Hz

Freddy

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd July 2007, 06:50 AM   #482
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by freddi
wizard = awesome David ! - you've beat Akabak - this is one powerful "little" program - many thanks for all the versions. (may I ask -do you have a horn system?)

how does one interpret narrow group delay spikes in tapped horn predictions? - here's a 3M variant of William's 30Hz

Freddy

Hi Freddy,

< many thanks for all the versions >

You're welcome :-)

< do you have a horn system? >

Not at the moment. I did have a replica Klipschorn system many years ago - the original version of Hornresp was written to analyse the design before I constructed it :-).

< how does one interpret narrow group delay spikes in tapped horn predictions? >

The narrow group delay spikes are due to rapid changes in phase - see the associated phase response chart. I doubt that they would have much significance subjectively. Someone with more practical experience in such matters would be better qualified to comment though.

Kind regards,

David
Old 2nd July 2007, 03:19 PM   #483
diyAudio Member

thanks David - is there a means to lean a divider back so there's a downwards flare taper as in a Karlson wedge? - -oddball situation but might approximate something..

Freddy
Old 2nd July 2007, 04:05 PM   #484
diyAudio Member

A big thank-you from me as well David. I know everyone appreciates the effort you've put into your software, and your willingness to write / add new features.

Best
Scott
Old 3rd July 2007, 03:31 AM   #485
diyAudio Member

Quote:
how does one interpret narrow group delay spikes in tapped horn predictions?
Hi Freddy,

Just to add to my earlier reply. As mentioned previously, the spikes in group delay are caused by rapid changes in phase. What I failed to point out was that the most abrupt changes shown in the phase response chart are due to phase-wrapping which is inherent in the mathematics used to calculate phase. The instantaneous phase swings seen in the phase response chart and picked up in the group delay calculations do not actually occur in practice. This means that the most severe spikes on the group delay chart should be disregarded when considering tapped horns.

Hope this helps to clarify things a bit :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 3rd July 2007, 04:11 AM   #486
diyAudio Member

Quote:
is there a means to lean a divider back so there's a downwards flare taper as in a Karlson wedge? - -oddball situation but might approximate something..
Hi Freddy,

There are no theoretical limitations on directly analysing negative flare conical horns, and negative flare horns of other types can be solved for indirectly using a number of conical elements to approximate the horn profile. The functionality is currently not available in Hornresp though, as it really only works correctly for plane wavefront models. I also assumed that it would have little practical application :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 3rd July 2007, 04:23 AM   #487
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
A big thank-you from me as well David. I know everyone appreciates the effort you've put into your software, and your willingness to write / add new features.

Best
Scott
Hi Scott,

No problems, pleased to be able to help out. Thanks for the thanks :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 3rd July 2007, 04:14 PM   #488
diyAudio Member

Hi David - thanks for comments - FWIW one can fudge Karlson response up to cavity peak as a coupled cavity type using 3rd Z peak (vented case) as estimate of front chamber tuniing.

is there a way to trick Hornresp into analyzing the case of woofer mounted in mouth of a stubby horn vent reflex?

Best wishes,
Freddy
Old 4th July 2007, 07:43 AM   #489
diyAudio Member

Quote:
is there a way to trick Hornresp into analyzing the case of woofer mounted in mouth of a stubby horn vent reflex?
Hi Freddy,

Not that I am aware of, unfortunately.

Kind regards,

David
Old 4th July 2007, 02:50 PM   #490
diyAudio Member

Hi David,

Thanks for your great work! I have a small question which is not only for the tapped horn, so please forgive me, if I post it here.
If you analyze a group of horn boxes, you use them many times in groups giving bigger horns and even bigger front surface, where the front surface is biiger than the horn.
I would like to see the gain coused by the directivity behavior included in the SPL response as an option. Furthermore if you use horns wich are built in into a bigger surface (like the moost tapped horns or as a special case the BDEAPs) it would be nice to have a parameter for the height and the width of the front surface of the boxes...
Also the reflexions from the edges changes the frequency response mainly in ht eHF and MF range...

Thanks,

Tamas Tako

Hide this!Advertise here!