Collaborative Tapped horn project

Re: Failed at modeling in AkaBak

Killjoy said:

XJ-15 Parameters:

Greets!

A quick sim yielded a 1222+L box for a 18.2-72.8 Hz alignment and with a dual driver isobaric 'only' 898+L, so wouldn't be my first choice in a tapped horn. Even a single driver tapped pipe is 478+L, though the flattest is 516+L:

GM

Attachments

• audio visions xj-15 18.2-72.8 hz tapped pipe - specs.gif
    audio visions xj-15 18.2-72.8 hz tapped pipe - specs.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,373
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I tried out my small tapped horn in its intended envirement.
The bas below 70 or so was realy nice, but due to the wrong driver for the horn - i just used what i had laying around - the midbas was to prominent, but there is certainly a lot of potential for small tapped horns i caraudio use. I would love to build a large tapped horn with a realy powerfull JLAudio 10 inch driver for my car, but my girlfriend wont let me use all the trunkspace. :bawling:

Johannes.

How are you expecting the sound to enter the cabin? Your car has a closed trunk!! There is a metal frame inbetween.

To make things worse, this closed trunk works as a tuned cavity together with the frame of the car, this only allows 40Hz stuff and the resonant peaks of he steel sheets of the frame to enter the cabin. To make it even worse, the cavity suffers several standing wave modes in the 100 to 400Hz range, and these narrow frequency ranges are also allowed to pass to the trunk amplified and with long resonance tail times.

How are you expecting the sound to enter the cabin? Your car has a closed trunk!! There is a metal frame inbetween.

No. It isnt a closed trunk. There is a gap of about 10 x 20 inch between the seats where the bass can come through. True, its not an optimal space, and yes, the sound was far from perfect, but i got a strong 30 - 50 hz into the car without a problem. There was a lot further up in frequency too, but it sounded a bit resonant.
Probably as you say, there is a lot of resonances in the 100 - 400 hz area, but its quite damped in there. We usualy have a lot of stuff in there.

Eva: Could you please tell me the best way of getting good sound from a tapped horn in to the cabin without cutting away to much of the interior??? I would realy need some good advice since im a total noob at caraudio.

Thank in advance. Johannes.

zobsky said:
How are you expecting the sound to enter the cabin? Your car has a closed trunk!!
- isn't that how a majority of car audio subs run? - admittedly compromised, but less so in practice than in theory.

Before you go cutting up your car, .. run the TH in the rear seat of the car and see if it helps any.

The performance of most car-audio systems is very frustrating. You don't need to do any major cutting to the frame since there are always some openings that should be taken advantage of.

After a productive morning reading this thread ;) could someone be so kind to throw this driver into hornresp or similar, I'm currently Mac-ified and until I sort out my PC at home I cannot do much modeling :(

Overall diameter: 215mm (8.5-inch)
Sensitivity: 87dB (2.83V/1m)
Mms: 31.5g
Cms: 454 um/N
BL: 5.99 T*m
Voice coil diameter: 35.55mm (1.4-inch)
Impedance: 4 Ohm
DC Resistance: 3.4 Ohm
Fs: 40Hz (free air)
Qms: 7.35
Qes: 0.693
Qts: 0.765
Xmax: 8.5mm (one way)
Vas: 26L
Sd: 0.02 m 2

I'm looking for a relatively small tapped horn if possible, that can reach under 30Hz (20 if possible) I'm hoping a small footprint and tall enclosure will have sufficient WAF!

I have a couple of other options in 8" drivers if that isn't suitable (but reading this thread I hope it is).

GM said:

Greets!

Brand, model number?

Anyway, you don't do 20 Hz 'small' at any useful SPL: 496.503 L

GM

The Brand is a Hybrid Audio, L8. I should have been more specific, I'd LIKE to get down to 20Hz, but I don't NEED to get down to 20Hz. the response plots you posted look a bit odd down low which would suggest to me that box is maybe trying to make the driver do something it doesn't really want to. It may be better to aim for 30Hz and do 30Hz well rather than 20Hz badly if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your time modeling that, I really must get my PC running so I can use hornresp myself.

Greets!

Not really, the widest BW horn for any driver is also the 'ideal' BLH, which is what I did the TH equivalent of, but the TH exacts a toll for its compactness. Still, in-room either of these boxes would be quite impressive on just the few watts required to hit its Xmax below 20 Hz, especially when one sees it's a relatively small driver.

Anyway, as you raise Fc the driver's weak motor makes itself more evident, so all else being equal you get more gain/flatter response and a bigger box (560.393 L), so a different flare type is required to shrink it:

GM

Attachments

• hybrid audio l8 20-115.44 hz th.gif
    hybrid audio l8 20-115.44 hz th.gif
    18 KB · Views: 980