Collaborative Tapped horn project - Page 395 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2013, 07:15 AM   #3941
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hills View Post
Hornresp designs "axisymmetrical" horns. Remember the classic cone-shaped megaphone (speaking trumpet) design? It's a conical axisymmetric horn. Now you take a hammer to the megaphone and beat it into a square cross section. It is still axisymmetrical.
Hi Don,

Just to clarify - an "axisymmetric design" in Hornresp assumes a circular cross-section.

My understanding was that a square cross-section had rotational symmetry, but strictly speaking was not axisymmetrical.

Kind regards,

David
Old 13th March 2013, 11:46 AM   #3942
kees52 is offline kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi David Hi Don

Thanks, so can I get the picture better because I did not now about the hammer and the trompet and this horn who has only taper on one side and need then parabolic, I do this then for everything who has flat sides?

The schematic David, now I now why this is, About the extra volume in the box, can I add this be widening the enclosure? Most say that 20 a 30 procent extra volume is needed, but I think while folding I use the hornresp output and keep already the panels in count automatically because of the foldings itselfs and the rroom between them agarding hornresp.

the only thing who need extra volume is the bracing and the speaker, now I have to search for a tool, I think bassbox pro can doe this for me if I remember.

Some say that my infinity woofer is not so good for tapped horn? why? it models good even in a original Lab12 tapped horn.

http://ch.infinitysystems.com/tl_fil...260W_PI_EN.pdf

thank all for the kindly help for a green behind the ears guy who turns slowly red..
Old 13th March 2013, 02:05 PM   #3943
diyAudio Member

Why output hornresp horndata with weight and hight /2 older versions give it straight or I do something wrong,, and if I use two speakers in a T-TQWT or TH is L12-34 then between them? this are the last questions for now, I have now enough I hope to start, I let you all now how it go with pictures of the tapped horn and the visaton T-TQWT versions.

thanks all for the help.

Last edited by kees52; 13th March 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 14th March 2013, 07:57 AM   #3944
diyAudio Member

Hi kees,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kees52 View Post
I do this then for everything who has flat sides?
If you intend constructing a rectangular cross-section horn segment having two parallel straight sides and two tapered straight sides, then it is most accurately simulated in Hornresp using the parabolic (Par) flare option.

Quote:
About the extra volume in the box, can I add this be widening the enclosure?
Assume that a cross-sectional area of 100 sq cm has been specified in the simulation, and that in the constructed speaker the area at that point will actually be rectangular (say 5 cm x 20 cm). If the thickness of the panels to be used is 18 mm then the external dimensions of the horn enclosure at that point will be 8.6 cm x 23.6 cm. As previously mentioned, the important thing is to keep the internal air spaces in the constructed speaker the same size as those specified in the simulation.

Quote:
Some say that my infinity woofer is not so good for tapped horn? why? it models good even in a original Lab12 tapped horn.
Perhaps someone who indicated that the driver was not suitable, could comment further.

Kind regards,

David
Old 14th March 2013, 08:17 AM   #3945
diyAudio Member

Hi kees,

Quote:
Why output hornresp horndata with weight and hight /2
It makes it easier to plot the height and width flare profiles, if so required. The half-values specify the distance from the centre line axis to the side of the horn.

Quote:
if I use two speakers in a T-TQWT or TH is L12-34 then between them?
For simulation purposes Hornresp models multiple drivers as a single composite driver. The required modified parameter values are automatically calculated by the program.

Kind regards,

David
Old 14th March 2013, 12:23 PM   #3946
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
Hi kees,

Assume that a cross-sectional area of 100 sq cm has been specified in the simulation, and that in the constructed speaker the area at that point will actually be rectangular (say 5 cm x 20 cm). If the thickness of the panels to be used is 18 mm then the external dimensions of the horn enclosure at that point will be 8.6 cm x 23.6 cm. As previously mentioned, the important thing is to keep the internal air spaces in the constructed speaker the same size as those specified in the simulation.

Kind regards,

David
Hi David

For the cross sectional dimensions I do now, when drawn in sketchup I get automatically when folding on the right pad, I do keep the dimensions from export as the sound pad, but I use a speaker and this speaker has 1.4 liter as space it take, but I think that it has not so much impact, Can I make S4 some bigger to implement the volume taken by the driver?

The photo let seen what horpresp do, I fill in the height and hornresp fill in the width and vica versa I do understand this, the same for bracing I put that extra in place where the bracing is, like S3 so making S3 some bigger.

And the folding I get always the right dimensions because I do fold around the 18 mm panels, the rest is easy.

Regards and thanks for the help, I am almost ready for the challence.

kees
Old 14th March 2013, 01:38 PM   #3947
diyAudio Member

forgot the photo, I have change the width to 33 cm to fit the driver, and make S4 some bigger for the extra volume of the driver.

thanks for look at it it is the last for I want to now for shure.

regards

kees
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 14 14.40.jpg (36.3 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by kees52; 14th March 2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 14th March 2013, 04:36 PM   #3948
diyAudio Member

Well I have tryed a fold, my way, to make the output of hornresp increments just as small what sketchup alows, it did not exact 10 mm in the circel.

I did see why sketchup do sometimes very strange, it do not delete always everything en let some pixels left and so problems, I did not see it unless I zoom big.

I have just for the bend start with hornresp output and did 0.9 mm increments until I am on the other side of the bend and then i use bigger increments until the other bend etc.

I like to hear what you think, maybe I am a little busy to do it wrong. First I go learn sketchup or autocad (better).

PS this is not a real design but a part of my hornresp output to look at the bend.

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test tapped horn.jpg (296.3 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by kees52; 14th March 2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:01 PM   #3949
diyAudio Member

Well after some tryouts I have some new question, sorry about my behavior.

the txt file have I exported from hornresp but I get not precise a good flare, from S3 to S4
it have a bend, and I need not a bend there because of the wood.

What is the best way to get a conical flare from the troat to the mouth, I did put it in parts for sketchup but it dit not match after the S3 to S4 where the speaker is a bend here is afcourse not the way and in hornresp I can not see when I am oke for export the horn to txt. Maybe you have a tip or tips, and have I use the digits after the mm? sketchup do only use mm as highest resolution so far. for the rest, it go better.
Attached Files
File Type: txt keestest.txt (1.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 15th March 2013, 08:29 AM   #3950
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the txt file have I exported from hornresp but I get not precise a good flare, from S3 to S4 it have a bend, and I need not a bend there because of the wood.
Hi kees,

It is not necessary to use the exported schematic diagram data to construct a bass horn. Simply ensure that the internal cross-sectional areas and axial lengths match those of the Hornresp input parameters.

For your given text file example, this means that:

S1 = 100
S2 = 200
S3 = 800
S4 = 959

L12 =50
L23 = 430
L34 = 50

You will need to use you own judgement when determining the effective lengths of acoustic paths around bends.

Kind regards,

David

Hide this!Advertise here!