Collaborative Tapped horn project - Page 384 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2012, 12:13 PM   #3831
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiivari View Post
Hi guys. I'm a bit tired now that I have had the wood cut, and I have a few questions

I chose 12mm BB ply for this project, 15mm for the middle baffle. Only one of my 400mm clamps has the needed 412mm range for gluing the rear panel on.. I have now been thinking if screws are the way to go for this build. I was thinking of using some screws with a flat head and maybe even a washer so that I could remove them later once the glue had set. The holes wouldn't hopefully destroy the nice-looking ply and there wouldn't be anything sticking out (visually).

I'll be mounting the driver with M6 T-nuts. I have no idea how to stuff the line, I'll probably go with what bjorno said, a bit more stuffing behind the driver, but should I damp the whole line or just the rear portion? I'll be using polyfill and obviously I get to decide but pointers from more experienced members would be nice

One thing I'm worried about is with the line width being 40cm the "height" of the line in front of the driver is only 3.5 cm, and the surround of the driver protrudes about 2cm.. It still has room on top and on the bottom of the driver and hornresp doesn't show major changes, at most lowering the tuning and efficiency a little.

I'll show you some pics at some point but later asI'm pretty sure its obvious from the integrity of the text that I am very tired :P (I only had to have the plywood cut THREE times.. protip: NEVER give dimensions over the phone.)
When I did mine, I used glue and countersunk 2" screws all the way around it. If you're looking to keep the wood nice, you might be able to put a little wood filler in the screw holes and sand it down. As far as getting a little more breathing room for the surround on the driver if it's that tight might be to countersink the driver, or even back-mount-countersink, if that makes any sense.

As far as stuffing goes, I also took B's advice and stuffed the rear chamber behind the driver with 2 layers of thick insulation, going down to one layer about halfway up the back and slowly tapered it off, stopping at the top fold.
Old 23rd September 2012, 12:57 PM   #3832
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Waddya mean "insulation"?
Old 23rd September 2012, 05:42 PM   #3833
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The fibre stuff to keep you or your house warm.

Makes good damping material in a speaker.
Long fibre wool, BAF wadding, etc.
Old 24th September 2012, 11:48 AM   #3834
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
Waddya mean "insulation"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
The fibre stuff to keep you or your house warm.

Makes good damping material in a speaker.
Long fibre wool, BAF wadding, etc.
Yeah, this was some new stuff I got from Lowes. I don't remember exactly what it was called, but it resembled the itchy fiberglass on a roll (no backing), however this stuff didn't seem to itch and didn't shed much when cut with scissors. It was pretty cheap too, I think I got 4 rolls which amounted to about 20 feet of material 14 inches wide and 3 inches thick for around 25 dollars.
Old 24th September 2012, 04:21 PM   #3835
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDyna View Post
Yeah, this was some new stuff I got from Lowes. I don't remember exactly what it was called, but it resembled the itchy fiberglass on a roll (no backing), however this stuff didn't seem to itch and didn't shed much when cut with scissors. It was pretty cheap too, I think I got 4 rolls which amounted to about 20 feet of material 14 inches wide and 3 inches thick for around 25 dollars.
That sounds dangerous
Old 24th September 2012, 05:11 PM   #3836
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That sounds dangerous
Nah, it wasn't bad at all. I still have some spare here, I can roll it up by hand and it doesn't leave particles or itch if you handle it gently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stuffing.jpg (109.5 KB, 184 views)
Old 24th September 2012, 05:58 PM   #3837
diyAudio Member

Two words: Lung Cancer
Old 24th September 2012, 06:20 PM   #3838
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Two words: Lung Cancer
It's not asbestos!

lmao.
Old 24th September 2012, 06:34 PM   #3839
diyAudio Member

Your right it's not, and I misspoke, it's not cancer but fibrosis. The difference with asbestos is that it is also cancer causing. My point in short is: putting that crap in the air is bad for your lungs.
Old 24th September 2012, 06:47 PM   #3840
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Your right it's not, and I misspoke, it's not cancer but fibrosis. The difference with asbestos is that it is also cancer causing. My point in short is: putting that crap in the air is bad for your lungs.
Well, I suppose you'd be pleased to know that the TH's I'm listening to now don't have any damping material in them at all.

My whiskey and cigarette habit will probably kill me long before airborne particles, anyway. You only live once!

Hide this!Advertise here!