Collaborative Tapped horn project - Page 325 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2009, 12:10 AM   #3241
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Snyder

P.S. take a look at the Beyma 12LX60. Some guys in Germany are using it.
Are they measuring the results? Got links?
Old 6th April 2009, 07:58 AM   #3242
diyAudio Member

Hi Just,

About 6 months ago, tupaki surfaced, thanked us, and then disapeared. He seemed delighted with his build of my double
fold of Cowans 30 Hz horn. Just last week, I stumbled on a German speaker forum and recognized his name. I did see some
links to measurements, but I didn't follow them.

Here is the URL:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...&fr=slv8-hptb5
Old 6th April 2009, 08:41 AM   #3243
Bluerex is offline Bluerex  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Here is the URL:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...&fr=slv8-hptb5
Oh! That is tooo funny! Great Pix and all, but bablefish has a mean sense of humor.
Bookmarked for anytime I feel in need of a giggle. No disrespect to the posters on the German forum or Don's good work, it's all in the translation
any Hintergrundgerumpel and murmurings or if possibly behind the stage approximately baselt merciless transfer someone somewhere.

Charles.
Old 6th April 2009, 12:09 PM   #3244
fb is offline fb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
P.S. take a look at the Beyma 12LX60. Some guys in Germany are using it.

Looks nice but it's severely xmax limited at 40hz
Old 6th April 2009, 01:03 PM   #3245
diyAudio Member

For sine waves yes, for music no. This box could do 1000 watts of 6 string electric bass. Remember, the fundamental is 10 dB below
the 2nd harmonic, so at one meter the lowest note would be 115 dB of 30Hz and 125dB of 60Hz.

I believe xmax on the Beyma is 9mm but only 6mm on the Definimax.

Start running sine waves thru your high end HiFi or PA gear, and you'll have blown speakers up to your @$$.
Old 6th April 2009, 01:23 PM   #3246
diyAudio Member

Do you think it's safe to assume that people aren't going to play music (ie. electronica?) where there is sine wave like content?

The current design I'm tinkering with is not xmax limited within my intended passband, but I'm only going to give it 300W. Better safe than sorry?
Old 6th April 2009, 02:08 PM   #3247
diyAudio Member

"Is it safe?"

Safe is boring! DJ's read their playlists by the red glow of the overload indicators. From the 1812 overture on, no speaker is
safe. Go to Danley's website and download his recordings of fireworks. That stuff will blow your speakers.

DIY is pushing the frontiers, and ... no, it isn't safe.

But it's fun!
Old 6th April 2009, 02:20 PM   #3248
rally is offline rally  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

This Tapped horn sounds very interesting and promising.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the bass of the tapped horn is like compared to dipole/open baffle bass please.
Old 6th April 2009, 02:50 PM   #3249
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"Is it safe?"

Safe is boring! DJ's read their playlists by the red glow of the overload indicators. From the 1812 overture on, no speaker is
safe. Go to Danley's website and download his recordings of fireworks. That stuff will blow your speakers.

DIY is pushing the frontiers, and ... no, it isn't safe.

But it's fun!
No PA sub is safe without a HP filter, especially one without a very small rear chamber... just because occasionally you'll get 'something' below 40hz, accidental, or intentional, Like this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...73#post1770573

Hey don, on dual taper, wouldn't a box like mine that you kindly drew up, be a great candidate for dual taper? Just change the taper at the upper back corner of the box?

I've actually gone to a 3 step process, creating a sim that looks promising, then creating a fold (rough) that may be somewhat close to the original sim, and then creating a new sim that more accurately represents what I just folded. AND THEN, working out the details of what I don't like in the design.

Is there an easier way? I know my big box was a great success, but it was a rush, and way too big, too heavy, and I didn't care, because it was a permanent install. I'd like to refine that cabinet a bit, shrink it as much as possible without going below 101db in the passband, and build a couple for myself... just because I have issues...
Old 6th April 2009, 03:32 PM   #3250
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbell

No PA sub is safe without a HP filter, especially one without a very small rear chamber... just because occasionally you'll get 'something' below 40hz, accidental, or intentional, Like this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...73#post1770573

I should have been clearer - is there any reason not to be safe within the passband? Assuming appropriate HP filter..... Fun is nice, but I can't afford to replace blown drivers willy nilly

Hide this!Advertise here!