Collaborative Tapped horn project - Page 297 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2009, 04:11 PM   #2961
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Being a simple matter of cut and paste numbers, this is a bit embarassing, but could you tell me where I went wrong here?
Old 26th February 2009, 04:36 PM   #2962
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default cowan's example

Hi just a guy,

When in the input page jut hit "Calculate, you should get the correct SPL graph. The Wizard will give the correct response until you change S2 from Fixed to Variable.
Your entries look correct.
Regards,
Old 26th February 2009, 05:02 PM   #2963
diyAudio Member

Ok, thanks very much, if I hit "calculate" it gives the correct graph. (I've never noticed a difference at all between the wizard screen and the "calculated" response, and so I haven't hit "calculate" for weeks now)

I don't understand why there is a difference. Although you clearly know why (as quoted below) I don't understand this statement.

Quote:
The Wizard will give the correct response until you change S2 from Fixed to Variable.
How do you change S2 to fixed to get the correct response? What's going on here?

(Has this been covered before? This is all new to me...)
Old 26th February 2009, 05:56 PM   #2964
jm_kzo is offline jm_kzo  France
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Post #2949

Hi Oliver,

Quote:
Originally posted by tb46
Hi Jean-Michel,Post #2949:

Neat "project: 5.1 DIY kit with on PA speakers (or good & small DIY kit with PA speakers) ?"
Thanks, but I must say that I did not thought it would be so difficult... I assume all first timers say this .

Quote:
Question 1: Use some inexpensive wood like particle board or OSB and keep one side removable to be able to make internal modifications. I would keep S1 larger than Sd/3. You only need a value for Atc if you are using a chamber between the driver and the horn, and I assume you added Rg for speaker wire.
Ok, I think I understand all of that.

Quote:
Question 2: If you keep the distance L12 between 0.1cm and the driver cone radius, the upper end cleans up a bit, ....
Ok, pushing to the extreme, L12 = 0 means that the driver axis is at the throat (option 1 below) or the driver side is at the throat (option 2 below).

Click the image to open in full size.

In your simulation, you do have the first part of the horn with only a little increase in section and then the other part increases more.

Is it on purpose ?
Can you elaborate a bit on what this set up changes, because it would be a lot harder to build, wouldn't it ? (though the Danley tower, not sure the model possiblu allows for that).

Many thanks again for your reply.

Cheers.
Old 26th February 2009, 06:00 PM   #2965
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just a guy
How do you change S2 to fixed to get the correct response? What's going on here?

(Has this been covered before? This is all new to me...)
This time, maybe I can help .

In th wizzard, you have a 3 drop down at the bottom of the window. I think it is in the last one where you can select this.

Actually I am not 100% sure now and I do not have HR handy... So maybe I helped, maybe not...
Old 26th February 2009, 06:20 PM   #2966
diyAudio Member

Never mind, I've got it all covered now, thanks.
Old 26th February 2009, 06:25 PM   #2967
diyAudio Member

My mistake, it is the second drop down box (the one in the middle).
Old 26th February 2009, 06:28 PM   #2968
diyAudio Member

Yeah, it was another case of an older version of hornresp. I had the newest one downloaded but was having serious troubles getting it installed. Tried it on a different computer and all is well now. I guess I need a windows reinstall on the laptop I usually use, as I'm having trouble every time installing the newest hornresp.

Oh well, another half page wasted on my inability to keep up with you crazy kids.
Old 26th February 2009, 06:46 PM   #2969
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Post #2964

Hi Jean-Michel,

Hornresp does not allow for a 0 (zero) in the L12 entry field, 0.1 cm is the minimum. If I remember correctly iand suggested adding the fourth horn section to allow for different frequency tuning in the middle of the horn. You seem to be doing fine with the simulation tool. Anyway, try to read through this thread, all the information is in there, including the conversion of Hornresp files into AkAbak. I know it will take some time to work all the way through this, but, it is worth it.

Regards,
Old 26th February 2009, 06:51 PM   #2970
diyAudio Member

Thanks Oliver, but although HR does not allow for 0, do you think 0.1 would be my option 1 or my option 2...

Actually thinking about it, it might be a bit academic and does not feel it would make a difference...

Hide this!Advertise here!