Collaborative Tapped horn project

FYI,

Comparing simulations using the TC_Epic 12 driver.

b:)

Attachments

• TC-Sounds-Epic-12_THs.JPG
    TC-Sounds-Epic-12_THs.JPG
    742.5 KB · Views: 256
  • TC-Sounds-Epic-12_THs_T-QWP.JPG
    TC-Sounds-Epic-12_THs_T-QWP.JPG
    739.4 KB · Views: 235
FYI,

Comparing simulations using the TC_Epic 12 driver.

b:)

Oh, that T-QWP looks nice and would integrate better / easier to eq I suspect. But that has two drivers, right?

A couple of the THs you have looks a lot like the one I did this morning from a couple posts back. This is the one I'm going to try and fold. What do you think, B?

Attachments

• epic12 2.0.jpg
    epic12 2.0.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Hi DrDyna,

Post #3778: "...edit: It's a TC Sounds Epic 12..."

You can download a tech spec pdf @ PartsExpress (293-650m), the basket O.D.=12.6", the mounting depth =6.2" (you'll need some additional depth for the vent air flow).

From where did you get the Sd (in Hornresp that has to be correct)?

Have you looked into using all 4 horn sections in Hornresp? There also is a TH1 in Hornresp that leaves the driver @ S2/S3, but adds a second section from the driver to the mouth.

Generally, you can increase the SPL by increasing the mouth size (e.g.: 2xSd). You will also increase the SPL by reducing the overall horn length, this way you can also place the excursion minimum @ the bottom end of the response where you want it. Do you really want a flat response, or should the response be slightly tilted upwards?

Did you read through this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subw...eating-subwoofer-box-s-56-cuft-available.html ?

Regards,

Hi DrDyna,

Post #3778: "...edit: It's a TC Sounds Epic 12..."

You can download a tech spec pdf @ PartsExpress (293-650m), the basket O.D.=12.6", the mounting depth =6.2" (you'll need some additional depth for the vent air flow).

From where did you get the Sd (in Hornresp that has to be correct)?

Have you looked into using all 4 horn sections in Hornresp? There also is a TH1 in Hornresp that leaves the driver @ S2/S3, but adds a second section from the driver to the mouth.

Generally, you can increase the SPL by increasing the mouth size (e.g.: 2xSd). You will also increase the SPL by reducing the overall horn length, this way you can also place the excursion minimum @ the bottom end of the response where you want it. Do you really want a flat response, or should the response be slightly tilted upwards?

Did you read through this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subw...eating-subwoofer-box-s-56-cuft-available.html ?

Regards,

The SD was on GM's export which is what I loaded into HR before I started messing with it. I double checked it against what TC Sounds states and it's right on.

As far as the response, I think I want it flat, unless that's a bad idea. The huge dip in excursion seems to be right around where I'd like it to be, between 16 and 17 hz is what it looks like.

I guess I can increase S4 a bit more. I've been working on a sketchup model of the one I posted last. The driver fits, but with only around 2 cm of space from magnet to the panel. Perhaps that's too close.

I have read some of that thread, but not all of it.

Edit: Just for funsies, I plugged the hornresp data for the labhorn in to see what this driver would do it in and it looks pretty impressive, more spl, about the same extension and flat enough response that I could miniDSP it.

Maybe I should just build a labhorn box? LMAO.

Attachments

• tcsounds12-2-skethcup.jpg
    tcsounds12-2-skethcup.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Yeah, I remember that thread now. I decided against trying to modify the T-TQWT for a single driver because it seemed like the few things I tried resulted in too much modification (that I'm not sure how to do) plus, I already have a pair of double driver T-TQWT's that bjorno helped me with a long time ago that I enjoy when I listen to music. They'll probably be my music subs until the drivers decay from natural causes over the next 20 years.

I've been farting around with making a new pair of subs to sit next to my music ones that I can use for HT or for "partying" that forgo a little bit of quality in exchange for flat out spl and efficiency, which is why I was really leaning toward a big TH. I've considered quite a few different designs from around the internet, but I always come back to wanting to use the TC Sounds drivers.

I wish I could afford to get 4 or even 8 of these drivers, but two is my limit. I'd like them to be single driver so I can build two cabinets. I've got my subs placed to the left and right (and a little behind) of the couch along the walls so at the place where the couches are, I can avoid the null, plus, it'll look symmetrical because I can place the TH boxes against the wall and my T-TQWTs next to them.

So, do you guys think it's a bad idea to try using Don Snyder's TH for the lab12? With the Epic 12 it seems to be pretty strong right down to 18hz or so, and provide quite a bit more spl, as the length is shorter and the csa's are larger, as you suggested.

Hi DrDyna,

Post #3788: "...for HT or for "partying...do you guys think it's a bad idea to try using Don Snyder's TH for the lab12? With the Epic 12..."

If you want to hear a TH go for it. I think it would be a great sub. There really is only one way to find out how it would integrate in your room, etc....

Why not build one from MDF and give it a try?

Regards,

Well, if it's for HT and size isn't a major issue, then you want it to go as low as practical now that many movies have output down to <10 Hz and have the widest BW practical to XO it at 80 Hz, ergo longer /larger. Based on published specs, a max loading BW of ~5-118 Hz can support a 10 Hz path-length, though marginal up top.

For partying, you want as much slam/punch as practical from ~40 Hz-up, so this 12's Fs is too low for a horn unless front loaded.

All things considered then, a large, long ~10 Hz hyperbolic compression corner horn that loads down to at least 40 Hz is probably the best compromise.

GM

Hi DrDyna,

Post #3788: "...for HT or for "partying...do you guys think it's a bad idea to try using Don Snyder's TH for the lab12? With the Epic 12..."

If you want to hear a TH go for it. I think it would be a great sub. There really is only one way to find out how it would integrate in your room, etc....

Why not build one from MDF and give it a try?

Regards,

I'm seriously considering doing just that. After all, MDF if pretty cheap here (about 19 dollars for a 4x8x0.75).

Well, if it's for HT and size isn't a major issue, then you want it to go as low as practical now that many movies have output down to <10 Hz and have the widest BW practical to XO it at 80 Hz, ergo longer /larger. Based on published specs, a max loading BW of ~5-118 Hz can support a 10 Hz path-length, though marginal up top.

For partying, you want as much slam/punch as practical from ~40 Hz-up, so this 12's Fs is too low for a horn unless front loaded.

All things considered then, a large, long ~10 Hz hyperbolic compression corner horn that loads down to at least 40 Hz is probably the best compromise.

GM

A front loaded horn, now that sounds interesting too, although I'd have no idea how to model it. You mean the sort where you can see the driver at the top of the cabinet, then the fold terminates in a large S4 at the bottom?

A front loaded horn, now that sounds interesting too, although I'd have no idea how to model it. You mean the sort where you can see the driver at the top of the cabinet, then the fold terminates in a large S4 at the bottom?

An exposed driver makes it a back loaded horn. A compression driver [4th or 6th order BP] coupled to a horn is front loaded.

Mark K did a build thread on a CSS 12" FLH awhile back: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/168697-trio-12-front-loaded-horn-subwoofer.html

GM